Work for Girlfriends Mother

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam3669, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

My girlfriends mother asked me to Aerate their lawn and do a Spring Cleanup.

My normal hourly rate for spring clean up is 35$ and hour. I was thinking about giving her a discount of 25/hr because she makes all my business cards for me and helps me ALOT with this business. Is this ok to do?

Also, does 35/hr seem a little low to you?
    Thanks, Adam

2. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Do you pay her for the favors? If so then no I wouldn't cut her
    any slack but if she scratches your back then go for it. Once you start cutting deals in this business is when you start getting screwed.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How to treat the "Mother in Law"
    I guess she holds the bigger hand,
    Best answer,--Yes, anything she wants:laugh: :laugh:

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

HEEEELLLL NO! I did it they expect it done for nothing and it ruins the realationship

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was just going to write that you're screwed, but then I saw that you are onlt 16. Yeah,...give her a price, THEN cut her a LITTLE bit of slack. It's the least you can do...afterall, she's letting you use her daughter every now and then... If she was loaning you a shovel or something, I would hope you'd do the same thing. But the bottom line is, it makes YOU look bigger. Another thing you can do with this, is give her a "friendly bargain". Tell her you'll give her a better deal if she grills you hamburgers some day. (One of those inevetible things that are going to happen, anyway). Good luck with it, and have fun with it. Life is short!

6. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Think about this, You say it's your girlfriends mother thats wants you to do this, Is there there even a small Chance this girlfriend could turn out to be a want-able wife. Don't let a few dollars be bad influence in a possible growing relationship specially when it come to a mother in law, don't forget that bond a daughter and mother have.This may not be good business sense, but may save you a lot of trouble:hammerhead:

7. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Couuld be :) Two and a half years!

8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be stuck doing in for free. Win the hearts of her parents and charge them later.

9. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

how old are you and your girlfriend?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, he's 16, that's why I said that's different. But that's just me...I'd be friendly and comical about it...I'd tell her it's going to cost ALOT When she says how much? I'd tell her probably a whole dinner WITH a pop included...It's worth that, just to see a smile come to someone's face. TWO people if her daughter is standing right nearby. There are some certain things we just do in this world...You will have alot of paying customers in your future. Have fun with it...that's what life is all about. :waving: