Work For Teachers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John P., Feb 23, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I had a teacher at my school recently ask me to do landscape work at his house for the up coming season. My question is how many of you guys did work for a teacher when you where in school or do work for a teacher you currently have? How did it go? Pros and Cons?

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a few asks me. Never did it. I worked for a friends mom once and I dont like the way its workin. They always want you to do these small jobs for them IMO.

3. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

i just got back from snow plowing my bio teachers driveway as she "couldn't start the snowblower". It is kinda scary that this 26 year old woman who is teaching me can't start a brand new snowblower! I also have done work for past teachers! I don't see any bad sides except the word kinds gets out and some kids will make fun of ya but I love the BIZ!

4. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i learned my lesson the hard way. Nvr again will I work for friends (maybe an exception here or there but not regularly), only take care of grandparents property which is ok because doing that got me a few accounts in the area.

5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see a problem with doing work for friends, as long as they sign a contract and pay the same rates as everyone else. You run into problems as soon as you start giving them breaks on prices. I currently do two of my former college professors homes, they are great customers.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

While In high school I actually did work for not only for a teacher of mine but also the principal. Was kind of funny to see these people who you assume always act the way you see them in school can kick back on the weekend on there patio with a beer and a cigarette.

7. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I see it as a great opportunity. If you do a good job all the teachers will know about it. Who cares if some D**khead kids at school find out. Maybe you'll end up working for some hot thang (student teacher) and we'll hear a story about some frisky shenanagans between you two on the Howard Stern show one day. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, do a good job and quote the price up front. Teachers love to see students display maturity and any type of skills. If you do well every one that teacher knows will know about you, because the teacher will be proud of you.

-Paul

8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

As a school teacher myself, I can tell you that when the time comes for a reference for college, job, or what have you, you should be golden because you have entrepreneurial drive. I presently have hired a student's uncle who is doing rehab work in the apartment buildings that I own. The kid busts his butt working with his uncle. I would not hesitate at all to write a glowing letter of recommendation for him. My .02.