1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work for the winter/ not for our company

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FairwayLandscape, Aug 24, 2006.

1. FairwayLandscape

FairwayLandscape LawnSite Member
    from LI

My workers are seasonal. This year 2 of my guys are going to have to work through the winter. Any ideas what they can do to make it through and get paid decently. Ps- they are American Citizens.
  2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

they can't collect? what i used to do was collect and find some part time job that paid cash, like a restaurant, or with a friend in the trades. now we plow, and do some low V lighting jobs, etc. one year we got a contract from Comcast to plow cable across a bunch of farms in western NJ.

most people, properly motivated, can figure out something to do for 3 months.

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea like he said also waiting tables can be easy money to help make it that is what my other half does.
  4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, for the most part i was looking more for something to do. one year i went to vermont and got on the ski patrol at stowe, another year i got a job on the groundscrew at a golf course in FL. none of them paid well (ski patrol was volunteer), UI paid the bills, and the rest was esentially booze money.

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

My guys draw unemployment till next season.
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

So, about what does it cost you per man/month to pay the unemployment on your employees? Just curious because I know I will need full time employees next year, but I am worried about retention.
  7. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Temp agencies around here start at 10/hr. Mostly light industrial warehouse work.
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

mine also......................
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Back when I was unemployed during the slow winter months I'd dust off my hammer and nailbags and pound nails for contractor friends all winter long. There is always building going on, regardless of what the weather is like.
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i do stuff during the winter that i don't have time to during the season. this winter i am planning to durn a drainage ditch into a dry creekbed, cut down some gum trees, prune some oaks, pressure wash several driveways, and construct several flower beds prior to sping planting. there is always work if you look for it.