Work for you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Outback Designz, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Have any of you tried this? If so, how did it work for you? I have a scag tt, 25 kohler. I using run doulbe blades on all three spindles. Gators on top with high lifts on bottom. Last week getting ready for spring, I was sharpening blades and such. Scags' factory blades are heavy and are close to weight of double blade setup. The factory blades are wide. Ok, Now I am trying high lift on left and middles spindles with factory blade. On spindle by chute, I am running doubles. Gator over High lift. Anyone ever mow with this and results. Thanks

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good question. I personally would not do it.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

WHY?,,,,,you have to ask yourself WHY?

4. Outback Designz

Why not. Need to step out of the box. The weight is equal. Three different spindles.
    What problems would you have with doing it.

5. tiedeman

from earth

the weight may be the same, but the air flow with the different blade setup could make for other problems

6. Outback Designz

The Gator is good for mulching. It just does not cut as clean as high lift. By putting double before opening, hoping to minimize springs growth clippings. Not having to cut twice.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing that pops into mind is are all blades at an equal height of cut? Unless the blades are not of equal thickness, your double set up by the chute will be cutting lower.

8. tiedeman

from earth

good point SWD, I completely overlooked that

9. Outback Designz

I made sure at equal height when installed.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How could they POSSIBLY be at equal height when installed. They may LOOK like equal height, but you're going to get streaking. There are only two different thicknesses of blades for this size of mower, - and two of the smaller ones do NOT equal the thickness of a thicker one. Beyond that, the use of Gators in the spring (in all of my experience), is that they are a hinderance. They cause clotting. The grass, as it's wet, tends to clot into little balls as it disburses. You can't always see it upon the cut when it's done, but you sure notice it when it dries.