Work of the low bidder

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Company that did this install is the "low bid".

This doesn't really show the whole picture, but they didn't have head to head coverage by about 15', then they placed this head about 7' off the property line, even though the lot line stake was right there. Anyway, the owners complained, they came out and "fixed" the problem by running funny pipe over to the proper location, owners called me to see this. All the heads were loose, so the lady of the house dug it up and seen this. Might be hard to see, but the poly line is about 4" deep max. and then the fitting assembly wound up to be right under the sod, funny pipe the same.
    Needless to say, they, as un-learned as they may be, knew this was a "hack" job.

Low Bid.jpg
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped and talked with another contractor that know, when I saw him recently on a job. He was fixing a system that had one zone that was ALL swing pipe to about 7 heads. Hmmmm..... wonder if it EVER worked.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Scary. Did you rectify the atrocities?
  4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

No, I didn't fix anything, it has to go back through the builder/contractor. He was going to have me fix this mess, I told him the whole zone needed redoing, quite frankly, the whole shebang is kind of a mess. But, he decided they would have the original installer "fix" it, since I would have charged for it.

I just kinda get a chuckle out it, as I used to do their work, until they decided I was too expensive. And I know I'm only about $200 - $300 higher. So, whatever, I'm not lowering my price just to compete with clods.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Did a call yesterday for a stuck zone. A different company serviced the start up and installed a irritrol valve backwards.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I went on one of those calls last week, but it was the homeowner that replaced the valve backwards.
  7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like a typical South Florida job