1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Work on your business for 30 minutes a day

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dllawson, Mar 20, 2013.

1. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

How much would your business improve if you actually spent 30 minutes a day working “on” it?

I recently sold my share of a successful landscape business. I used my experiences growing that company to create a program to help other owners better manage their businesses. I am convinced if an owner will work on their business for 30 minutes a day, they can drastically improve their company in a very short time. It is easy to read books and think about change, but my goal is to help owners actually spend time working on their businesses.

The program includes a 5 minute daily lesson based on the following topics: Monday – time management, Tuesday – customer service, Wednesday – quality, Thursday – efficiency, Friday – marketing. More importantly, each day also includes 30 minutes of action steps to apply the lesson to your business. You can see an introduction to the program here, and a sample day here.

I would like to do one more test group before I do a final edit and start advertising the program. I started a test group last month for Fix Your Business on the Toilet, but it did not get going the way I hoped it would. Some people also thought the name stunk, so I will also be working on a new title.

2. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

I would like to have 5 owners who will commit to going through the program, giving me their honest feedback, and agree to post weekly comments on this thread. I am looking for owners of 1 or 2 crew companies who need to spend less time on a mower and more time working on their businesses, and owners of 2 or 3 crew companies who need to start turning over some responsibility to a key employee.

I would like to select a group by Friday. If you are interested, please include a little information about your business. Let me know your sending a PM if you don't want to make this information public.

Where are you located?

How many crews do you have? What is your approximate revenue? Are you still full or part-time in the field?

What is the biggest business challenge you would like to overcome?

What is your most important goal for 2013?

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Maybe I'm missing something?? 30 mins a day?? I do that by the time I'm on my second cup of coffee.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Your program is for mowing companies only

Your title need to be changed.

5. CLS_Birmingham

CLS_Birmingham LawnSite Member

Sending you a PM now

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I think there are some very good ideas (along with some common sense too) in this package. Personally March is always the busiest time of year for me. I go from 7:00am til I run home to help out the kids to bed...and now this damn snow won't go away! I do plan on setting a few minutes a day to start implementing some of the stuff outlined here. Overall I think it's a good thing to do if nothing else it brings things to light that may go unnoticed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

I am just about ready to get this test group started. I will email out the first week of the program to those of you who are part of the group later today.

I would really like to add one more company. If you are located near Atlanta or Charlotte and would like to participate, let me know.