1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work or sell?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by thegreek, Nov 1, 2008.

1. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Earlier this year I made a guys hands bleed, when he had to wheel barrow 45 yards of mulch around. I fired him for working to slow.

My guys get twice as much done alone than they do when I am scheduled with them.
    Why?? Cause I have better things to do than shovel dirt. I have to answer 50 phone calls a day and this tends to slow things down a bit. Also, I paid my dues and now I have people to do that crap for me.

Lower your starting rate and make your idiots earn their pay checks. Then give raises due to exemplery service. I also find that being an ass and and not letting them get away with slow work is very effective. I can replace any one who works for me. I don't want to , but I can.
  2. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

Hey I appriciate that. Thanks.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So are you saying that you became a scaper to be 'a suit'? Why not get a job as a receptionist that pays benefits and drop the headache? Or, did you become a scaper to dig your own little power trip?
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I hear that. I specifically hired an office manager last year so I didn't have to directly deal with that sort of stuff. I find I'm more useful in the field than in the office.
  5. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have spent too many years building this company to let some office manager talk to my customers. Office flunky handles office crap, billing payroll ,taxes. I talk to customers and I am still my best salesman.

I got in cause I like to use my hands. I stayed in 'cause I like money. So am I less respectable if I don't play in the dirt anymore. This stuff about being a suit is crap. I have a wife and kids who expect me to pay the mortgage and put food on the table and somehow figure out how to take them to Disney World next year. I choose to do this because I am good at it. But I don't really care what biz I own.

Make your company work for you.
  6. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

My office manager is my wife. She handles talking to clients over the phone, setting up meetings, and I go out and meet with them in person. She's definitely not a flunky, and can handle the bookeeping and other office stuff as well.

We built this company from scratch, and we both know what we're good at. I hate talking on the phone, but love meeting with clients in person.
  7. thegreek

thegreek LawnSite Member

I was wondering whats better door to door salesman/women. Who does better male or female?
  8. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like your doing a good job.
  9. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thank you:waving::):)
  10. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

most people are more willing to let a woman start her pitch in a door to door setting. But that doesn't means they will let her close. Most people will naturally stereotype that the women doesn't know what is going on.

Also, I tend to work mostly with wives. While most of them like my wife, they tend to come to me when it comes to things happening in the field, even though she could answer 90% of their questions.