work place policies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by d&rlawncare, Jan 4, 2008.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Who has them...obviously solo's not included.... for the bigger companies if you dont have them...why not?

Drug policy; vehicle policy; equipment policy; job discripitions; drivers license requirements. Anyone I hire will have a med card, valid drivers license, copy of driving record and sign all policies. I will keep a copy of there med card/drivers license/ and driving record and job application on file. Remember in MOST states you fall into the federal regulations and are regulated and considered commercial vehicles. You want to cover these things in case an accident does happen.
  2. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

We have a company handbook that is given to all new hires. I actually wrote it myself based upon several other handbooks I had gotten and changed them slightly. I strongly feel that all companies that have more than 4 employees should have them. Basically they cover your back side. But as I found out, they are only as good as the paper they are written on if you don't enforce them strictly. Drug free workplace is a great policy to have as well.

On a side note. Why are you requiring a med card? I didn't think you could require those because it is a form a discrimination. Plus, I believe in this industry you will have trouble finding employees that are looking for a job and have health insurance due to the cost.
  3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

A medical card is not health ins. It is required when you operate a cmv with a gcwr in excess of 10,000 pounds
  4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I am solo right now (because of my frustration with the dead beats I have hired), I have an employee handbook that I wrote myself based on my past management experience. I had hoped to have a couple of guys working full time by now, but you know how that is.....But anyway my handbook covers equipment safety rules, general rules and behavior problems, etc...Each employee signs that they have read and understand and agree to the info in the handbook.
    In addition I require a criminal back ground check and a check of a new hires driving record. I don't do a drug screen, but I do mention on my applications that one may be administered at any time.
    Another note on truck ins... If you have employees driving your trucks you need to have them added to your policy for that vehicle. If you don't and they have a wreck, the ins company in my state only has to pay an amount that is required by law, and not the full amount that is stated in your policy for that vehicle. You can really pay for that mistake.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yep what he said. I did the same. Do a search use employee manual, operations manual and the like, some pretty good ones posted here. But it is your company it needs to have your touch. You do need to enforce it or it is a complete waste of time. You also need to be consistent enforce the whole thing with all employees. But you knew that didn't you.
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have all that plus since we do federally funded projects we need a sexual harrasment policy, and EEO policy and a federally OSHA approved saftey manual!!! all custome written cost me about 2g....