work schedule

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawnslawns, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

alright guys, here is my work schedule. Mon 12p-12a, Tues 4p-12a, Wed 12p-12a, and Thurs 12p-8p. Off Fri, Sat, and Sun. How many yards should i be able to handle reasonably per week. I work by myself. I have a 48" walk behind mower. What do you guys think?

2. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Maybe i should have clarified that this work schedule is my full time job that i work as a water treatment operator. Wondering how many yards you guys think i can handle. Thanks!

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I would only plan on operating one full 8 hour day per week. Plan on working on Friday. Leave saturday for rainouts and one-time jobs. Sunday is your day of R&R or catch-up. You'll need the rest of the week for maintaining your equipment, keeping truck in working order, doing office work, making phone-calls, giving estimates, etc. Assume you get one lawn done every 45 minutes that means you can get about 10 lawns in a week.

just my two cents after making 1000 assumptions

4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on the type of clientele that you get. Residentials typically can't be started before 8 am, and you should try to get off their yards by 6pm. Commercially, you can start as early as you wish, depending on noise ordances and proximity to residential housing. In my area, a one man crew can typically do an average of 8 stops, doing only "mow,blow, go". That is a house that is roughly 20,000 sq. ft. of turf. You need to understand what services you are going to be providing for each stop though. If you offer full service; weeding, mowing and trimming, then you may average 1-2 hours per customer. Whatever the situation, I would save yourself 1 full day OFF! THis is for your brain, your body, your family and friends ---- ONE DAY!

5. Precision PLC

Precision PLC LawnSite Member

I second what tscape said leave atleast 1 day for rest and family and don't let your customers bait you into anytyhing less

6. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I plan to do this part time as well, Saturday's a some Sundays. I also calculated about 10 yards a week.

Just curious, how will people feel about being at their home @ 7am or 8am on a Saturday morning making all that noise??

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Now that I have commercials I have no problem starting at 7:30am. HAven't had a problem with that yet.

Residentials...that's a different story. Some don't mind at all...others do. I had one problem were the homeowner said they got a complaint from their next door neighbor that we were there too early...it was 7:30. Now what we do is get to the residential and spend some time walking the yards picking up debris...we then start the mowers up at about 8am.

If it becomes a problem I try and alternate who's lawn we are doing at 7:30.

8. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

check your local laws for service providers, up here you can't start on a residential property untill after 7:30 am.

9. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

They certainly vary from area to area and country to country for sure. Up here, After 7am Mon-Sat and After 9am on Sundays, all days until 7PM.