Work slowing Down?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by B_gerrits, Nov 16, 2007.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if with the cost of gas going through the roof, a million illegals buying lawnmowers and weedwackers and calling themselvers landscapers,the housing and credit crysis and the media consistantly predicting a recession if you guys are seeing less work. This year started out great now I am not seeing any new work at all. I know work slows this time of year but it has never been this bad.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Please cite the reference for the "million illegals buying ...."

What defines a housing crisis? How is the slowdown in housing starts considered a crisis?

Why wouldn't the media predict a recession? It gives them a great story line. Who in the world of economics is following the media line? How many others in the world of economics predict otherwise?

3. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what is like where you live and that was kind of my question, if others were starting to see a slow down in work. As a reference for millions of illegals buying lawn mowers and weed wackers ,the millions is an exaggerated number. All I have to do is to do my route and see a bunch of guys driving around with lawnmowers and weedwackers in beat run trucks and no signage. One thing is for sure the market here is saturated with mow and blow guys most can hardly speak english and charge 15 dollars per cut. I don't see a possible way of doing business legally at that price. The housing crisis would be defined as the amount of houses going into forclosure making a glut of houses on the market and dropping property values. Property values in this area have dropped 15 percent since last year. I have a number of customers tell me they were going to have to let me go because their mortgage was going up and they had to cut expenses. I drove by their houses later because I was curious to see if I had been replaced and it was obvious nobody was doing their house. As for a recession follow the money. Gold is at an all time high, the dollar at an all time low on the exchange market. Inflation is going through roof here and people are cutting on thier spending.

4. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

This year was a bit slower than the last 6-7 years, but it wasn't terrible. At this point we are very busy with some stone and planting work while we wait for the leaves to fall. Clean-ups will keep us busy until Christmas or maybe even the first week of Jan.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have seen a bunch of Mexican outfits out this year. I don't know if they are illegals or not. One guy with a pickup and a rider in back, for example.
    Record number of forclosures in the housing market that is for sure. Hardest hit are California, Arizona, Florida and a few other states. There is a glut of houses on the market in my area. Home sales have slowed way down Nationwide on average.
    Then there are the gas prices...
    I have had a drop in calls coming for the past 5 years and it hit rock bottom this year. Hundreds have gone into lawncare full or parttime since then. You see them everywhere and everytime you go anywhere.
    Still with the above its hard to generalize for the entire country as to whether all lawncare operations are slow. All depends on where you live and the economic conditions there and the number of lco's there etc etc

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

flip on the news once in a while,.....

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The news media is part of the problem. If they would merely report the news, fine. But, making the news so they have a story to dwell upon is instilling misleading information. The housing matter, the employment reports, the economic indicators, are only a tip of their iceberg.

I read USA Today, Wall St Journal, and two local newspapers every day. I watch news programs on television, and an avid radio listener. Also, I follow Internet news and blogs associated with business and economics. No, I have no idea of the nightly entertainment TV shows, the sitcoms, or the reality shows.

"Flipping on the news once in a while ..." propagates the problem. The "once in awhile" approach to these matters is exactly what the news media counts on. They can advance an agenda through snippets, sound bites, and "quick hits." They are counting on the public to be too lazy to read in-depth articles and stories, and to spend some time attempting to understand the issues and problems. The attention span for most people is so short, any detailed study of an issue is beyond their interest. Hence, it is easy for misleading agendas to get widespread cover and be taken as the entire story.

For me, "once in awhile" is a major problem in our country. We have become so lazy, so enthralled with the reality TV shows, the sports figures (Does the American public know more about Barry Bonds in the last couple of days, than what is happening in the US Supreme Court?), the Hollywood starlets (How many people know more about Lindsay Lohan's 84 minute jail time, than know what were the influences in the stock market changes this week?), and the list goes on.

With regard to the so-called mortgage crisis, what was at the bottom of this problem? All we tend to hear from the "once in awhile" news media is the American public is in financial crisis because of downturn in the economy, hence having trouble paying their mortgage. Hogwash!

I could continue, but I think you get my point. Set aside the "once in awhile" approach to understanding the problems.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

This time of the year is slowing down but the year in general was not bad at all.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Roger you said you read the wall street journal you should know the answer to your question...... What defines a housing crisis? How is the slowdown in housing starts considered a crisis?