1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Oh god today was a treat at work. Last fall we did a telephone hut for the telephone company. Well we put the loam in for the lawn the drive got tared and everything was good. We planned to return this spring and plant the lawn sometime in mid may, and make sure all the trees and brush were clean and ect. We don't plow the huts we build, the telephone co's grounds maintmance company does it ( i don't know how these guys do make any money plowing these little huts the service area is from the maine/nh line to bangor, but thats another story). Anyways we left some extra loam and crushed rock on site for the spring. We marked these piles so they wouldn't get plowed up, they were about 8' from the edge of the road, plenty of room for them to plow. Anyways we were up checking the hut, and did some other work in the area. Well what did this company do, they spread 2&quot; crushed rock and loam all across my where we were going to plant the lawn. Oh well, now we will have to bring in some more loam.<p>I am not crying my eyes out this time Dino, i just can't understand why they plow 20' off the edge of the road we built. Anyways it's just another day at work, but it gave me a laugh, the ground looked like a big m and m cookie.<p>Geoff

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Damn landscapers

3. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff - The guys that plow the cell sites and telephone sites like you mentioned often do them as part of a larger contract (at least down here). The one company I know of who has a lot of the telephone co. work knows a guy, and gets the big money contract. Supposedly (hearsay only) gets a couple hundred bucks for the equivalent of plowing a long driveway. The catch is, as I understand it, that there are no inch or per storm rates - just a flat rate. In other words, for big contracts we have storm clauses, and figure on multiple visits. I don't think that is factored in for this type of work. Plus, they can send a couple of local yocals 'subcontractors' for peanuts. So, if he is getting a fair price it works out, if not then he does a lot of work for no money.

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Well these guys do all the telephone properties themselves. They can't sub them out because the phone co wants to make sure they contractor plowing them is insured correctly ( i guess they had a bad expereince 5 years back with a sub). <p>I think they have two or three trucks that drive all over the state. If that guy drives 20' of the tar again that truck will be in the mud about frame rail deep.<p>I know one thing that guy must have hit those piles of loam and rock fast to spread them out like he did. Those piles are almost not even visible.<p>Geoff

5. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Just for kicks i am going to head out to that telephone hut tommorrow. I want to see if the guy got his truck stuck, if he drove off the tar he would be on his fram rail. Getting stuck that deep is pretty hard to cover up. I give you guys and update tommorrow.<p>Geoff

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Didn't get to the hut today, because of that darn windstar. Will give you guys an update tommorrow.<p>Geoff

7. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff - If they missed the roadway, why don't you ask them to pay, or put a claim in against their insurance to compensate you for the work you need to do. It sounds like they should have marked it off in the Fall.<p>BTW - The skidder got the chipper out ok, but he couldn't stop, just had to gun it and go. The mud was like quicksand. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

8. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Well i went out there and the truck did get stuck. This thing was down about 18&quot;, i had a laugh. I am going to tell them they have two choices, one they plant the lawn and finish the drip edge. Or i do it and they pay for the extra materials and labor.<p>Geoff