Work Truck Purchases

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by TML, Oct 20, 2013.

?

Truck purchases

1. New

33 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Slightly used still w/ warranty approx 2-4 years old

37 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Used generally 10+ years old 100K + miles

43 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

How do you purchase your work trucks?

1. New for the cleanest image and most dependability (in theory)

2. Used but still under some warranty approx 2-4 years old under 80K mileage. Still looks new but depreciated a bit on purchase price and registration fees.

3. Used generally over 10 years old and over 100K mileage with the thought some of the common repairs and bugs have been worked out and you don't have to worry about every scratch and dent as it is a work truck along with a noticeably lower purchase price.

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Over 10 and over a 100,000:weightlifter:

3. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Have bought both new and used. The next will b a new Isuzu NPR...

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Go with what you can afford. Everyone always wants new but can't always afford it. Warranty is huge part of it also imo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

All of the above, it really depends on what you will be doing/ what type of truck.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

needs another option between 4 years old and 10 years old

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We typically purchase 2-6 year old vehicles that have between 20 and 80k on them. Always looking for a good deal and when one presents itself we grab it and rotate one that is due. A lot depends on where it will fit in our business. We are currently looking for a LCF to suit our needs but the prices fluctuate so much and they usually have well over 100k and thats on a 3-5 or newer one.
    Ultimately I would say purchase what you can pay cash for. You will always hate the vehicle if you are making payments.

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, exactly. Ideally somewhere around 60-80K or less but whenever you can find a good deal. Obviously a diesel NPR with 100K is far different than an F150 with 100K on it. lol

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm all about getting a deal on nice older trucks with low miles. I've got my eye on a 96 3500 dump with 65,000 miles. However, My baby is a 2006 f250 that I bought when it was 4 years old.

10. bp lawn

bp lawn LawnSite Member

If they have been taken care of I'm not scared of mileage. A nice truck can be had for 6-10k range. Plus paying cash for it makes me feel better.
    Posted via Mobile Device