1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work Trucks?????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I'm at it again. I'm starting to look at the isuzu trucks with the 14'-20' landscape beds on em. I think it would work good fer hauling the dingo and pipe around and bigger stuff as I need to. Also it looks like I will be buring up tha roads to get to tha comm jobs. So what kind of trucks are ya'll using to get to tha jobs. Thanks
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

1990 f350 4dr dually 460 efi at 4:10 gr---It's been a good truck but it's gonna break me on gas this yr.I would also like an Isuzu cab over but if I can only afford 1 truck,I just dont know, cab over wouldn't be ideal to pull a camper or boat.Mabey 6.0 powerstroke.For sure a diesel!:)
  3. Mark B

I have a 2001 2500 dodge I need it fer the slide in camper and fishin at the OBX it just about time fer the drum:D
  4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Here would be my choice
    Isuzu NPR with the 195 hp engine
    Landscape bed (Summer)
    Reefer box for selling salvage lunchmeat in the winter ( call me hot dog harry )
    I think that Isuzu would be a great choice but It doesnt answer all demands a LCO can demand for transportation

Can you plow snow with the Isuzu ?
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i would re-think the isuzu thing...if the engine blows, have you seen the price of a replacement engine???

now, if you purchased a chevy or ford box truck, check out the price of the motor...

just something to think about.
  6. Mark B

Well you do have a point. But I think that is the same motor that is in the chevy,GMC,duromax. I have seen some warrentys as 3yrs unlimited mileage. In my book that is a great warrenty. I havn't gotten any prices yet but I would bet they cost less then a chevy or ford 1 ton 4 door w/tool body on em.
  7. greenworldh20

those motors will purr for at least 100k. but after that, pulling a trailer for all those years, that motor can go south. i have seen it. like i said, check out the replacement motor prices, prices to maintain the vehicle....it is expensive.

if cab overs were the greatest thing, everyone would be using them.

there is more than meets the eye...look closer...

just my .02
  8. Mark B

If I go with the zuu truck I will not be pulling a trailer around. I will have a 16' landscape bed on it with built in ramps so I can drive the dingo or what ever else I want to put on it. That is the only reason I'm looking at em. 1) no more trailer tax,tags 2) no more trailer flats while I'm going to tha job. 3) I think it would be easier to get around in town with it. 4) If I run it 100k and it stops running then I should have made enough money to replace it. Bad way to think I know.
  9. greenworldh20

you are right with the 'no trailer'. i hate trailers.

but, do you want your guys to put the machine on the truck 3-4 ' off the ground?

one contractor put it up when the ramp was wet and lets say he walks with a bad limp now.

now picture your labor doing this. they are in a hurry, want to go home, lets the newbie put the machine on the trailer.

watch out, newbie.........................