work with another LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TRex, Aug 13, 2003.

1. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have met and talked to a few other LCO's in the past couple

of weeks two were firemen and cover about 30 accounts each. It

seemed like they could use some help and I would love to gain

more experience any way I can. Would any of you ever consider

have help to expand the business so that it would run full time

instead of part time like they since they are the fire house 24hr

and off 48hr. I have the basic equipment , but I dont have larger

mowers yet like he does. Hard work and quality work is a must

for me. And would any after working with some one let them use

your equipment to work while your at the fire house. Also what

would be a fair split of the money for something like this. Do you

Think this would benefit us both at the same time. Please give

me any info to help me out. Thanks

if this post is to long let me know.

2. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We are in EXACTLY this situation. My husband is a full time FF. I would love to have someone to work with me on the days my husband is at the firestation so we could take on more accounts.

I don't know if you are wanting them to take you on as a partner or as an employee. Personally, I wouldn't just let someone use my equipment. They would have to be an employee of mine, covered by our insurance and workman's comp.

You could be the nicest guy in the world, and be best friends for years with someone, but there is always the chance of you getting hurt or you hurting someone's equipment. Then things become messy. You have to protect yourself, the other guy, and the customer.

You could sit down with these guys and see if they're interested and what they offer you. If they have paid for the big equipment, and are paying for the insurance, you can't expect them to give you an even split.

I'll probably need to hire a person for next year, when I do, I'll offer $8-$10/hr. depending on their experience.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a fulltime firefighter, and i hire firefighters from the other shifts to run it when i'm at work. however if there is someone truly interested in learning the biz i will hire them and put them with the guys to teach them the in's and out's of the biz.

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Thank You for your input. These guys do not have wifes that help like you, I wish my wife would help a little more but thats beside the point. They take care of the jobs they have on they're days off. No I dont think I am really partner material quite yet and they do not carry insurance and I do not either yet but they have broken a few things and replace out of pocket no problem util its a persons eye or somethig. However I do plan on getting insurance as soon as possible. How would you figure it if I started to pick up more jobs. What about a commission or a percentage of the work he gets and a different percentage for jobs I bring in. Any other help would be great. I knew you respond to this once you read it Maple City.

5. ffemt1271

the guys at work that are lco's and myself pay by the hour. if an employee gets us work--they work more hours and make more money

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if someone came to me, and said they wanted to work for me , to learn the business, then go out on thier own, and basically be my competition, i would throw them down the stairs.

7. ffemt1271

sounds like someone is afraid the competition may become better than them!!!! way to go bobbygedd--thats the attitude to have----NOT!!!

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

duh???? dont u know....that if every lawncare company was succesful, there would be 30 trucks on each street, instead of 3? they go under because they arent making money, teach them how, they stay in, and they teach 2 people, and they teach 2 people, and they teach 2 people...........and your next post="what do u guys do in the winter, for money?"

9. ffemt1271

if you run your operation right you shouldnt have to worry about the competition.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

not true. some people are just about price, if the "new" guy comes in a few bucks cheaper, u may lose the job. now, u have already taught him to do good work, so he is in.