1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work with fellow landscaper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Feb 12, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I have the opportunity to work with a guy that i vaguely know on some big commercial accounts. As im sure you all know this is syzers and mine first year in the business. This guy is a one man show for 6 years now and very successfull i might add. He does not do things the way most of you guys do (contracts and things) but has alot of work. I know he can be trusted and he works in our area. He claims if we work together he could take on more commercial accounts. Now would you guys reccommend this? Like i said its our first year, should we stick to getting our own accounts or could this be ideal(not having to deal with the headaches just collect the money). Just a little shakey on decision making with thses things.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Who's name is the account in? Who gets the check? Who PAYS THE TAXES? Who's cutting with what, so it's split down the middle?
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Runner. It can work but having things in writing can save a ton of headaches and misunderstandings later on. When doing commercial accounts, contracts are the norm and working under someone else's contract can be ok, but you should have a sub-contractor agreeement that spells out insurance, payment terms, termination clauses and other provisions such as equipment and materials responsiblities.
  4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I know a guy who did this the past two seasons. Last year the guy holding contract hired an employee, bought another mower and started doing it himself mid-season. It sucked for the smaller guy, as that was probably 15% of his weekly income.
    I also had a problem with a friend regarding snowplowing this past fall. He got a customer list from a contractor that went belly up(a friend of his). He asked me to sell the jobs, run under my business. After I did all this I made out route lists ect. He was doing the same dollar value as the refered work(aprox). I asked him how he wanted me to pay him, we hadn't discussed, I left as we will see what we get from the referals. He stated flat out, he thought we were going into this as a partnership this year(snowplowing), and he thought we were adding ALL the plowing together and dividing in half.(I would get a little extra, $ 2500, for doing all the legwork). I told him let me run the numbers. Totaled my bus. $ 32,000, his work $ 10,000, referals $ 11,000. His way I would have had one of my trucks siting all winter, & would have made $ 28,500. I told him in no way did I see how this was fair. Told him if my name is on it I need to get 30%, showed him where I arived at that #, for refered work. I ended up sending out letters stating ___contractor will be assuming responsibility & liability for these contracts & keeping 10% for office costs & sales time(It wasn't worth my time for that amount). I ended up loosing my best friend over the deal.
    My take from this, get it in writting, you don't want to start depending on the work, then he finds someone or a cheaper way, your out.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It might not be a bad idea to do it your first season. You will surely learn a lot from this guy. I would get something in writing, if it offends him that you ask for it then you've lost nothing. Let it be known that a long term commitment may or may not be possible. It might work out for all parties and you will want to continue it. If it doesn't work out then you have still learned a lot and made some money while growing your business to a point that it can stand on it's own.

I wish I would have had that opportunity when I was starting out. That is the kind of thing I would like to do now so I can stay employee-less!
  6. double e

double e LawnSite Member

It may not be bad-

I work quite a bit with two other companies, Landscaping, mulching, clean-ups. I had an offer to do some mowing with one, but turned it down. I think it would be hard to cut with someone else. If it rains or your busy, you have to juggle your schedule