Worked for dead customer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j fisher, Jan 27, 2005.

1. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Went to do one of my regular customers Tuesday. There were a couple of cars in the driveway which was a little unusual, as there normally not home. Just figured they had taken the day off. About half done with the front yard and a lady pulls up and delievers some flowers. Now I figure that someone is sick, or maybe they've had a baby (younger couple). I finish and load up, leave the bill in the door as usual, and leave. Two days later, I get a check from the mans sister-in-law, and request that I send her sister a reciept.. No explanation. Then as I'm reading the obituaries (I always read them to make sure I'm still living) in todays paper, there he is.. Dead. Died on Monday, the day before I was there. Now, I'm feeling a little bad. Had I known there had been a death in the family, I would have never been so inconsiderate as to disturb them during this time. But hey, at least I got paid. Just hope the wife keeps me on now. Nice year round account. I'd hate to lose it.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think that I would send a sympathy card and maybe a plant garden or a donation maybe to a Vol. fire or EMS station in honor of the customer. Most of my customers, I am on more of a personal basis with them than a buisness one. That is what I would do
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I usually send a card when that happens to one of my customers it shows that you not only care about their business but their family as well.
  4. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I had the same type of thing happen to me. I had a house I have had since I started, actually was my 2nd account I ever got. The husband got cancer and about 3 months later the wife had some medical problems, not quite sure never really has been the same. I decided to give them a break on their bill. I know you probably shouldn't do this, but they were both retired and really struggling kinda felt bad for them. I'm not saying to do that at all, but maybe you should send flowers or card or something, try to be understanding.
  5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree...always send flowers. I would even go to the viewing of some of my clients.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hey...lonely wife......
  7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

You're like school in the summertime Gedd, no class. Just teasing ya.

I had a customer call me the day after his wife die to make the place look nice while his family was in town.
  8. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I had that happen too a few years ago.
  9. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

most heart patience die on a monday.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why is that?