worker comp and the occasional worker

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Do I need to carry workers comp if I only use a hs kid up to 10 hours a week doing manual labor and no machines? Also what prices are people paying for work comp? I hate to waste money for such a little amount of work form this guy.
  2. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I am also curious to what ohio guys are paying for workmans comp.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Your insurance company can answer this for you. In Virginia W/C is required when you have 3 or more employees (including yourself)
  4. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

ky is same except that if you are an LLC, and you and your partner are listed as members under the LLC then workers comp is not required of you.

but as for the hs kid, i think you can find the answer at and click on colorado.
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I believe he is in Colorado. Click on the previous link and go to Colorado. If you have a HS kid working you should have workers comp.
  6. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

i love the edit ^ !
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Illinois is the same way, if your company structure is a sole proprietor,or LLC,you are not required. But you are not relieved of financial liability if a worker gets injured .Business owners with these type company structures who employ workers, should weigh heavily not purchasing WC insurance.