1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

worker finds money, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kdbetters, May 5, 2006.

1. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

today my crew was out mowing a new customer, and one of my guys discovers a $100 bill in the back corner of the the back yard(actually almost ran it over). Well, he pockets the money and then tells me about it at the end of the day. I ask him if he confronts the customer about it and he says no. So, I tell him he should have. He basically said that finders keepers losers weepers. He refuses to give the money to me, so I can try to see if it belongs to someone. I give in and tell him that he needs not to spend the money for a week, if no one calls to question it then its all his. However if they do call, then he has to give it up.

What do you all think about this situation, or better yet what would you do if you were me?
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i find money a lot. $10 bill a week ago on a new yard. that right where the tornado ripped through at so maybe i should search the neighborhood :laugh:
  3. Brianslawn

if someone holds up a $100 bill and asks if its mine... the answer will always be yes. catch my drift.
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'd fire him on the spot for being a dishonest SOB.He knows it's not his,you know it's not yours.It was found on a customers property.It belongs to your customer.
    Wonder what he "finds" that might belong to you?
  5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I would have bent down to pick it up and then looked up at the
    sky and smiled:) Then continued working, while I listen to my music:headphones: Had it been a wallet or a purse, then I would have turned it in.
  6. Brianslawn

exactly. wind couldve blown it from anywhere. of course customer will say its theirs. i found $20 in parking lot at restaurant we were working at. after we get done i mention to employee what i had found. all of a sudden "hes" missing a $20 bill. i asked him where abouts in the lot he was working that he may have dropped it. he was wrong on all 3 guesses. he couldnt identify it by telling me the serial #s either.:laugh:
  7. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

agreeded finders keepers
  8. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

Obviously the guy was full of crap, no argument there. But how many people can honestly say they memorize the serial #s from money in their pocket?:nono:
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With cash money, the only exception to the finder's keepers rule is if I saw it fall out of someone's pocket or I saw them drop it then I know it belongs to them and it would be wrong to keep.

It might even be questionable if it was inside the customer's garage, even if the garage door was wide open.
    Or if there's a wallet or a purse sitting by the pool...

But other than that, there's no telling.
  10. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I would tell that employee that he was buying the beer for everyone after work.