worker who wants to carry a hand gun

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mowerboy04, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

As the title says i have a worker who is getting his CPL and wants to carry a hand gun with him while he works. Now i have nothing against guns and am planning on also getting a CPL in the near future but don't feel it would be professional, nor would i feel comfortable with him having it. Can i make that a company " no weapons" Or is that something i cant take away being a employer.
    thanks
    alex

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You sure can say no weapons under my pay roll time :waving:

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You can say no but why would you want him to be unarmed if he is responsible with his firearm. Your customer will never know if he's CC unless he needs it and I wouldn't really care what they thought then.

4. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Think about this. Someone trys to steal your truck. He doesnt have a gun. Guy gets the truck, he calls you and you call the cops/insurance, insurance pays you for the loss. Now, someone trys to steal the truck, YOUR worker shoots him. Have fun in court!

More bad than good can happen. Give the dude a weedwacker!

5. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

You have the right to tell him to keep it at home or in his own vehicle.
    But, with all the theft of machines and equipment, wouldn't it be nice to have some protection. Just a wonder.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm not saying you can't have a gun. I'm not saying you can't own a gun. All I'm saying is you can't Carry a gun at work/ "in town". lol (A Classic)

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have anything against guns either but there is no way in heck one of my employees will carry. The employer carries all the liability and I don't want to fight the law or my insurance carrier.

8. Lawn Care Etc.

Lawn Care Etc. LawnSite Member

I would let him if he's not dumb or stupid no one will know he even has it.

9. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

You can make a no firearms policy if you so choose.... Assuming he is responsible I would let him carry though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

My main job has a no weapons policy. I have a ccw license and carry almost every day. If they catch me i could be fired, if someone comes in to do harm to me or one of my staff and i stop it they will probably praise me.. I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.