1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Workers Comp Ins Rates

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by J&R, Sep 22, 2004.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

What is the % rate per 100.00 in your state. My Ins keeps going up and never a claim in 20 years. This year its 7.61%.
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is lower than that..

I believe the rate goes up based on the industry as a whole..
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Our is $5.01 per $100. Illinois
  4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only paying 2.78% here in BC
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3.39 per 100...that is because my company falls under the heading of "mowing contractor", not "landscaper". There is a difference. Reason being insurance companies assume that as a landscaper, you're operating backhoes, skid steers, chain saws, stump grinders, etc., vs. mowers and trimmers.

Contact your insurance agent to see if you can receive the lower rate. I did and saved a ton.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is right around 4% as we too are considered mowing contractors. However, I have to provide a seperate accounting for payroll when we provide tree trimming services as our rate then jumps to 107%.
    I have never had a claim, in fact, never had an injury. Yet, this next year, 05, my rates are going up to 6% and 125% respectively.
  7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I being this back up. With just 5 replys How many LCOs don't have Workers Comp Insurance.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's like this J&R most here on LS don't have employees, hence, they don't need WC. On top of that, I would bet the farm and give ya real good odds most don't carry any insurance either...
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think I am around 5% but I am going to check on the advice Rodfather gave and see how we are listed.I have 2 employees and myself my accountant mentioned to me that if I was listed as "sales" it would go down not really sure how it all works.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

13% landscaper listed. And yes Rod I have ins, so if ya want to come to Ohio I'll run your azz over and we can see if its any good :rolleyes: