Worker's Comp Insurance in Texas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 24, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is like pulling teeth trying to get a quote for workman's comp insurance. I called an agent who sells Texas Mutual back on January 21st. She said it would take about 30 days to get a quote from them. No quote yet. Called her yesterday. She said she'd follow up. I hear nothing. Call her back this morning. Still nothing. I call Texas Mutual directly. The agent dropped the ball by not telling them what they needed to know back on January 27th. I explain that I'd like to use another, more repsonsible agent. The Texas Mutual lady recommends I don't do that because it will further delay the entire process. Midway thorugh this phone call, I feel like I'm working at the friggin' phone company again.

So I call another agent. He sells Lloyds and he sells Texas Mutual. He said he could have me a quote within a week from Lloyds.

A week???

Should I assume that I am the only landscaper they've ever insured for workman's comp? Why is this so time consuming??? I could understand a one week turn around if I was asking them to build me a new patio with retaining walls and select plant materials and draw color pictures. But this is simply a numbers game. Why a week???

Does anyone sell workmans' comp insurance in Texas who knows what the fugg they're doing? Name & phone number of agent, please.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

Going on a month, still waiting for a pesticide quote myself. I was told to roughly estimate 1% of gross salary for worksman comp ins. Might just be a texas deal. They say we pay some of the highest prems. But service is stupid!

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Jroctx,

Was that a typo? I was told to expect 10% above the wages, not 1%.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My cost runs about 10% of the gross wages. I have been very happy with the Lloyds policy I have for WC. IT should not take more than 3 or 4 days to get a quote from Lloyds. I would check at some other independent agents that handle Lloyds. Many do handle that company here in our area.
    You might want to try my agent here in Denton. Call Lord and Company Insurance Agency, (940)382-9324. They also have a Dallas number, (972)420-7903. Ask for Donna.

5. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Mine is running 9.87%

6. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

Yes DFW, 10%, I'm thinking about that other government fee!

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Well, I guess I'll post the update. Someone in another thread I had started recommended Hotchkisins.com. I called them yesterday at 4:00pm. They called me back this morning and I signed up. 8.4%. Not bad. Very impressive. They also have the best GL rates I've found so far too.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

Thanks, I hope they cover Austin as well! I found one company down here that offers $479 for GL. For solo that's great, but if you have multiple owners, that fee is per person.

9. okcpa

okcpa LawnSite Member
    from okc, ok

DFW... is that web address correct? Hotchkisins.com?? thanks

10. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Jroctx,

I have an agent who has been very responsive and seemed to shop the policies very well last June.

I think it took her about three days to get a rate for W/C from Texas Mutual Fund. My effective rate was 9.8% but we had some claims with a sister company two years ago.

She is an independant agent who is hungry and works hard for us.

Let me know if you decide to shop for an agent.

Tom