Workers Comp prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoetschOutdoor, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Kreios

Kreios LawnSite Member

I payout around $22000 a year in labor and my workmans comp is only $750 a year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am a solo op looking to hire on a part time college aged kid for the summer months. Tried to get a quote on Comp, found out no private insurer will write the business. Has to go to the WC MN Pool and will be $500/yr min premium (for wages under apprx $2,500 which I assuredly will be under). Needless to say, I decided not to hire, what a rip off.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You can tell who has it through a payroll service and who pays the premium to an insurance company. The ones who have it deducted each week seem to know our rates where those that pay it once a year know the amount they expect to pay for the entire year. Ours dropped 2 years ago to 4.5% sadly unemployment tripled in that time so no real savings.

4. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

i am solo and needed workers comp to be able to work at my commercial properties. it will also cover me for plowing them in winter. nobody wanted to insure me...turned down by 6 places as i am a new company with no history. i have a 2 million dollar insurance policy and am paying 2500 a yr/liability and 3250 a yr workers comp for just me. no employees...yet. its pricey but had to do it.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

i am guessing you were written for comp through your state's wc pool - right? Premiums are sky high.