1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Workers Comp Question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Podraza, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Podraza

Podraza LawnSite Member

Went to bid our first Apartment Complex today. Our company has 100000 insurance.

This mgmt company requires 2000000 and workers comp.

Anyone have workers comp for 3 employees? I was wondering the cost. My insurance guy wont know until Wednesday and I was wanting to know what yall pay for a heads up.

Thank You. We are small right now 3 employees and been in business about 2 weeks.
  2. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I am a retired Police Officer and have also been working as a PI. The cheapest workmans Comp. Co. is IWIF Injured workmans insurance fund. I hope that this helps.
  3. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

In Mass. Comp is based on salary paid to your employees.
    Your first year they will charge you based on your estimated payroll, then you will get audited each year and it will go up or down according to your 941s. If you're not familiar with doing payroll taxes, 941s, Unemployment insurance, etc.. you should probably look into a bookeeping service.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

In CT, last I checked, WC for lawn crew was around 8% of payroll. May be more nowadays.
  5. grade

grade LawnSite Member
    from MA

It comes out to about 5.00 per 100.00 in gross payroll per week
  6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

In MI it's 3% of gross pay for cutting crews and 7% of gross pay for Landscapers. I do both so I am grouped as a Landscaper, ounch.
    Jim L
  7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

First I couldnt even start to think about having someone working for me withou workers comp. the risk is to high for me. In Indiana the base and lowest price I belive is $ 750.00 for the first $8,000.00 in payroll, then $58 per $1000.00 of payroll after $8,000.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

This will be the first year I have a steady part time employee. My insurance agent told me that it will cost me $1175 per year for workers comp for him for $11,000 a year payroll minumum..... OUCH!!!!