Workers comp. question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ron monteith, Nov 2, 2003.

1. ron monteith

ron monteith LawnSite Member

My insurance is out of hand. Do you have some advice on controling this expense. We have 10 employees and my W.C. is around $13,000 a year now.
    What advice do you have we I can work the same number of people without having such a large rate?

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Not of a legel way that I know of it.
    Reading your other post I think I know what you're trying to do.
    Belive me, Subs and employees are a whole different thing, this a cost for doing business and I don't think there's a way around it.

The best bet is try shoping around to see if you can get a lower rate, around my area is 8-10%.

3. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

What kind of work do you do? There are several classes like landscaping and then there is a landscape maintance class the difference here in al. is 7.82 percent for landscaping and 4.68 for the maintance. I just found out and it is going to save me a lot of money by changing since i do the maintance end of business. Like I said dont know what you do. If you are spraying then there might be a higher rate for that. Check it out with your agent. Later

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think that depends on the state, in Texas we are not required by law to provide Work Comp.

Employee vs. Sub I know what your trying to do and believe me you will eventually be ruined financially. A sub is defined as someone who has their own equipment and business and you cant tell them how to run their business.

If you provide equipment and pay your guys as subs one of them wont pay his federal taxes and you will be held responsible to pay them and you will get audited and have to pay everyones taxes. A guy I know owes the IRS $500,000 because one of his guys got PO'ed and turned him in.

Not Worth the trouble over $13,000