Workers Comp with no employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowZ06, May 17, 2010.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have been in the mowing and landscape maintenance business for over 20 years. I have many upper income accounts and have never been asked if I have workers comp. I am fully insured,etc but chose not to have workers comp on myself or my wife who works the business with me. Today I was asked this question from a client that I have had for around 5 years as a mowing only . Actually the person was the cpa of my client who handles their book keeping. I told her that I was fully insured against damaging property. She was concerned that if my mower tipped over on her hillside and cut my leg off I could sue them :rolleyes: The interesting kicker here is that I just landed the landscape maintenance job on her property for 2000.00 because her old company was doing very poor job and the book keeper wanted her nephew who is unemployeed ? to do the job and my client wanted me to do the work:) I was just curious if anyone else has workers comp and no employees.
  2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

tell her that you can sue her whether you have workers comp or not. I have it but I don't think I am even covered by it, just my employees. I'm not sure though.
  3. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I called my insurance agent and he said I would have a very hard time sueing them anyway. I would have to prove they were the cause of the accident and not my own .
  4. nepatsfan

You can sue anyone, whether you have a case or not is another matter. Just tell her to settle down and that you will do a good job, you wont tip over your mower, and if you every did you will not sue her.
  5. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I checked on workman's comp here in Maryland once before I bid on a government contract. The bid required that I have the Workman's insurance. I have a small company - just me & the Mrs. no other employees. No one would write a policy for just me & my wife. I don't know if that's unique to this State or to the insurance industry as a whole.
  6. nepatsfan

How long have you been in business? I think the insurance companies want you to be in business for 3 years. I believe you can get it through the state in a pool if you cant get it from a private company. My buddy just went through this. I was trying to help him but he was in a different situation than me and needed to get his insurance through the state.
  7. bentleytn

bentleytn LawnSite Member
    from TN

I think you have gotten like advice, but she is probably covered regardless of your coverage under her homeowners insurance. You would have an impossible time getting work comp on yourself or your wife.
  8. nepatsfan

I dont think so. You can put yourself on a workers comp policy.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My insurance guy told me to put myself on worker's comp, it's cheap insurance.

Secondly, I used to be solo, but had to carry worker's comp because the commercial accounts needed the certificate of insurance.

Here in MN, there's a quasi state agency that you could get a policy, it was about $300 +/- and then at the end of the year, they would do an audit of your payroll, and if you didn't have any payroll, you'd get the $300 back.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

In Tennessee you can get a WC certificate if you are solo. You can't really CLAIM anything on it, but it is a certificate you can purchase, I think it's $750 a year so you can be legal to bid on jobs that require it. I think it's a binch of bull but it is what it is. Part of doing business. There are jobs I'm glad that it's required because it keeps some of the lowballing scrubs from even being eligible to bid.