1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

workers comp

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by corey4671, Mar 7, 2007.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

looking for advice here. I am solo. never had employees. don't even have helpers. I am just a solo kind of guy. I work by myself. there is a commercial property up for bids here and one of the requirements is workers comp. if I don't have employees, why do I need to carry WC? I have liability for obvious reasons. Is it even worth going out to get WC for this ONE property?

2. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

Get it anyway, here in Ohio, if you don't have employees, or very few it's $20 per year.

3. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

Ask your ins. agent about an "if any" policy, that whats they call it around here anyway. It's basically a policy you don't use, and you get back a good part of the premium. If you do claim any employees, you pay on a % of payroll. Thats what I have done. Good Luck

4. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

In the great State of NJ its $1000 and I can't collect on it. If I wanna collect its Triple or More. But it should be hard to asked your agent what it will cost you

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

My workmans comp was almost $3500 just for me

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Bump...anybody else wanna chime in? Don't be shy. I don't bite! Just looking for opinions here and HOPEFULLY some facts. Thanks for the posts so far guys. Don't stop now!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How in the hell can that be? You are getting ripped off. I paid roughly that much for all my employees last year.

8. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

He must be able to collect on it if he gets hurt. Thats how much I was quoted with only $25K payroll. So I elected to not be able to collect on the policy. It's just there for looks. I have learned though if you have had workmans comp for a couple of years shop around for a new quote the rate will go down.

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I was just shopping around for cheaper rates.. the cheapest I could find was $5.70 per $100. Anybody cheaper????

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We pay $4.29 per $100