Worker's Comp.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grits, May 11, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What are some of you paying for workers comp insurance? I only have one guy working for me righ now. I am starting to shop around for this and was curious what the average would be. Thanks.

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Grits, mine was around $1400.00 last year, this year it shot up to close to $2100.00 (for the year) Keep in mind it is based off the hours your guy(s) will work. I had 4 last year and 3 this year so I am actually hoping it will go down a bit next year. Does anything ever really go down though?:laugh:

Jeff

3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I believe we are around $7 change per $100 on maintenance and upwards of $13 per $100 on construction.

You will have higher rates for your first two years as you will be considered high risk. Be safe and your rates will go down over time.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

In Ohio you can save 95% on your WC premiums by joining a Chamber of Commerce, or other business group....

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Those prices aren't too scarey! I thought it would be a lot more than that. Hopefully it isn't higher in Florida. Thanks.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I pay $4.29 per 100 of payroll for mowing only.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If I could save 95% by joining the Chamber that would have saved me atleast $14K last year

How does the state cover the huge cost of WC ....must be some high taxes or something

8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

For one employee in Maryland it's costing me almost $2000.00 a year. That is based on his wage of $10.00 a hour.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds awfully high. How much per $100 is that?

10. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm really not sure about the cost per $100 but my insurance agent told me based on his salary that is what it costs. The worst part was I had to pay half of the amount in advance and then the rest is due 3 months later. So I had to pay this in the begining of the season before I had any money coming in. My agent told me that it will be cheaper next year. It seems everything costs more in Maryland. I hired my first employee in April. It has been a trip. He usually misses one day a week. He hurt himself the first week. At least when he shows up, he works pretty hard. If I could get him to show up every day I think he will be ok.