1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Workers Comp....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MLI, Jan 26, 2008.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I'm already Inc. and have had up to 6 people working in the past. Now I know that workers comp is required by law, but is it required if your solo & Inc.?
  2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

in VA its not required inill you have a certain number of workers.. i am solo with a part time help and carry workers comp because of my commercial account
  3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

In Ohio, workers comp is calculated by payroll. An owner can exempt himself from workers comp, though.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

same here in jersey
  5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you are in a state and you don't need it until you have X number of employees I am assuming an employee can sue you for medical expenses for any injury occured at the workplace right?
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think the KEY WORD HERE IS, not required by law......

like a lot of things it's a gamble, YES if you have someone working for you and they get hurt it's your nickle....
  7. pdreibels

pdreibels LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a PA workers comp question.... If a business doesn't have WC for a time and they apply for new coverage, will they be required to pay the premiums/percentages for the time period they were uninsured?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The fine is $2500 per day in pa for lack of wc coverage for employees
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

No but there is certain contacts requires it no matter if you have 20 people or just your self

I wish more contacts would require it even for solo guys but some don't

I run it I only have 3 full timers this year with 2 part timers for Friday and Saturday

To get the good paying contacts I need WComp
  10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Why? Why do you want people to require it even for solo?

If you're solo and your state doesn't require it. You do not have to have it. All you have to do is submit letter saying you do not need it
    Posted via Mobile Device