Workers Comp??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkinchla, Dec 14, 2000.

1. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

What have you all to say about worker's comp? I just bought an "If...Any" policy for about $450, and the agent says that it should cover me in the event that I want to hire occasional help.
    Right now I am flying solo, but this spring I will have employees and was wondering what you guys would suggest??Thanks.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Workman's Comp is priced based on a percentage of your actual payroll. In your case you were given the minimum policy (example $10,000 payroll for the year). If your actual payroll goes over that minimum you will pay the applicable percentage over that minimum. Most if not all states require you to have WC for employees, so it is mandatory that you have it, so you're doing it right.

3. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Have them sign a contract saying they cannot sue you and or you are not responsable if they get hurt. I was wondering if anyone else does this.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Might work, but would probably need to talk with a lawyer. That could still be risky.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As I understand it, if you have w/c all they can get out of you if they get hurt is the anount w/c will pay. It covers you. A lawyer told me this so I assume he was right. He advised me to get it.

Homer

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Jasonp,
    If you are paying someone to work for you & they get hurt while performing that work, you are responsible. That is why WC exists & that is why it is mandatory by law. You can be sued if you are negligent in some way but accidental injuries are covered by the WC as Homer said. I think even in most cases where the employee is negligent, we are still somehow able to be held responsible. Good documented training procedures are the only way to avoid or lessen those types of problems.

7. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I dropped my workers comp when it recently expired. I have one p/t contract "laborer" at this time. He is starting his own bus in the spring. Here in NC my understanding is that if you have fewer than 3 employees it is not required. This gives the small guy or start-up a financial break. However, if an employee does get hurt it could BREAK YOU as a court would hold you responsible. My rate was .05 per $1 of gross payroll. I also had to predict what my payroll would be for 12 months and pay total WC in one lump sum. At end of year they audit your payroll and apply credit to next year OR send you a bill if payroll was greater than your estimate. Your "what if" policy sounds like a good deal if you plan on having help. I would advertise to commercial clients that you have this. It helps in getting contracts. The cost of doing business can really be a pain in the wallet!

8. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

Glad you guys think this policy is a good idea, I bought it last month, which is a strange time, but figured that is when you have the most $$ to pay these things every year. Also, like you said, it is good to show clients that you have it, so here we go - let's see if it gets me more work!

9. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

Whats the premium on your policy??? Almost all have a min amount that you have to pay in order to be covered. Last i checked mine was a $900 and change premium, which translates to a min payroll of around $18,000.

10. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

BRL I know what your saying but I think laws differ from state to state. I had back surgey back in march because of an injury on the job. Thats why I started the business, because know I got tired of working for other people and ending up hurting 70 percent of the time for it(my back that is). With lawn care if someone has common sense how are they going to hurt themselves. Unless they get hit by a rock and they need to be wearing safety glasses anyway. If you get them to sign something maybe they will be less likely to get hurt in the first place. Brl I also see where your coming from to.