Workers Compensation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metfanjim, Apr 21, 2001.

1. metfanjim

metfanjim LawnSite Member

My business is in Texas and I handle about 20 commercial properties and on none of them am I required to carry Workers Compensation. I recently acquired a couple of new properties and have been servicing them for a couple of months. They now have left a message for me to send my liability and workers comp papers to them. Of course I carry liability but I choose not to carry WC because of the great expense. Any input on options, or what I might tell the management company so as not to lose these properties. I was never told that WC would be required.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Do you have employees? If so, you should have it for your own protection since one lawsuit could have you working for your employee for the rest of your life. :(

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

metfanjim
    San Antonio, TX

I have three employees and I have waivers on the other properties and my employees sign a form stating that they understand that I do not carry Workers Comp.

I think you meant to post this here on this thread. You clicked on New Thread and you should of clicked on Post Reply to get it on this thread.

I have never heard of doing this. Is it legal?
    Are you sure you are protected from any law suit?

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In most states it is state law that an employer must carry worker's compensation insurance on employees. In Indiana a sole propietor with no employees can get an Independent Contractor Affidavit of Exemption to prove to clients that he is not required to carry worker's comp.

If commercial clients knew that you did not have worker's comp, in most states they would drop you like a hot potato, because they are then opening themselves to liability if your employees are injured on their property. And the employee form will not hold water if any of them get hurt and go to a lawyer - the state will force you to pay out of your pocket, if you have no insurance. Suggest you peruse your state regs at http://www.twcc.state.tx.us/

5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I initially bought workmans comp insurance because a new large customer required it. Now, I couldn't imagine being without it.

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have workers comp also. Price well, lets say it beats working the rest of your life for someone who got his foot cut off.....get workers comp you will not regret spending the money.....One LCO here had a guy get his finger tip cut of the price for The LCO operator ,hospital lost work etc for his guy was $25,000.00

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that Texas allows yu'all to elect NOT to have WC ...but we had a guy cut the tip of his finger off 2 years ago and with out WC it would have cost ME $8k just for the Hospital stuff .... I also know of a guy that had a worker get his front teeth knocked out ......I think Charley is still paying for that one !! but he has WC now !

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Workers comp is for you, the employers benefit. Do you play russian roulette in your spare time for relaxation?

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I do all commercial work and no resiential. If you don't have liability/workmans comp/chemical applicators license/etc. you are not really a legit service and can't land contracts that licensed/insured companies do. Waivers will not hold up. Get insured before it costs you more than a contract.

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get workers comp through your insurance agent...

Workers Comp in Texas is not reguired unless you have more than 3 employees