1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Worker's Compensation

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NatesLawnCareLLC, Nov 28, 2008.

1. NatesLawnCareLLC

NatesLawnCareLLC LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I just had a quick question about workers compensation. I am thinking about expanding my business but I would like to get a rough estimate of how much workers comp is going to cost me. Is there somewhere I could look to find some IA workers comp. estimates?

2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your insurance provider for a quote.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

somewhere between 3-5% of your payroll.

4. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

in NJ workers comp will cost 4% of your payroll for strictly lawn maintenance and up to 10% for construction. Make sure you designate which employees work where, and if YOU only do administrative work (estimating, accounting) make sure you are put into that category.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Be carefull with that, beleive it or not a lot of times administrative ( office ) positions will be higher then lawn maitanance due to carpel tunnel syndrom from being on a pc all day.

6. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

not sure if that is a joke or not, but it is kinda funny. I'd rather have aches and pains from actually doing the work then carpal tunnel from sitting at the computer all day. I think thats just the nature of most of us. At any rate, with my insurance company an administrative postion is much less than the laborers.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Its no joke, I was shocked to find out myself.

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is $ 6.69/ per hundred dollars of labor cost