Workers losing stuff like safety glasses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Aug 8, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Twice this year I purchased half dozen cool looking safety glasses for my workers and after washing the trucks earlier today I cant find a single pair. Thought about putting names on each pair or just getting the cheap nerdie looking clear safety glasses. What would you do?

2. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

After they lose the ones provided by you, I would make them buy their own, and be responsible for bringing them - show up without them, go home...

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have every employee sign a sheet of the products/supplies/tools that they take, like for example safety glasses. Once they return back to shop make them hand back over the tools that are marked on the list. Whatever tools they forget or lose discipline by giving them a warning. Only give them 2 to 3 warnings. After that, they are fired. It may sound stupid, but I guarantee you it will work. Oh, the other thing is whatever they lose comes out of their paycheck

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

one guy i know buys the "cool" set for each employee, after thay loose/break the first pair they get the big square nasty ones unless they want to take it out of their pay.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about the laws regarding this topic. Are you required to supply safety equipment, or just required to make sure your guys are wearing them?

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoolie, Darn skippy you need to provide the Safety gear per OSHA... And make sure they wear it too.....If they refuse.. see ya'...

7. HOOLIE

Good thing I'm solo. I wear mine since I can't afford to fire myself... I guess to clarify my earlier post, if you have to supply them, is it kosher to charge the employee for them?

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is what I feel:
    If they constantly lose them, tell them up front, "If you lose another pair you have two options, the next pair will be deducted from your paycheck, or if you choose not to do that, then you will be fired."

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no you can't. it has to be provided, that doesn't mean you have to spend more money on expensive pairs though.

10. HOOLIE

Yeah, at my old job we ordered a ton of cheap pairs in bulk, like $1.50 apiece, and told the guys if they didn't like them they were free to buy their own. My boss would get all worked up when they lost a pair.