1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Workers "too good"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Sep 22, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys have workers that are better than you are at mowing, trimming etc...?

2. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Nope , they learn from me. Im fussy and expect the best. My own yard is my best advertisement . Some people pick up certain jobs and feel comfortable while others I have employed are never going to get it right .

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Most of them......... Its their job to be good at it and my job to get them the work to do.......... I love it when I have guys just as good and better than me then I dont have to worry about sending them to any property

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, rite. I wish!
    No seriously, my guys are pritty good, but not as good or better than I.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. A smart business mans trys to hire people that are smarter/better at the job than he is.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Boy I wish...thats exactly what im looking for sombody I don't have to babysit.

7. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have one who picked up the ZTR in about 2 hours and trimming in and hour. He is only 16 and really racks up the hours. He put over 150 hrs (engine time) one of my ZTR this summer. Now, he is better or quicker than I am on it. I have yet to find anyone who can trim a good and quite as me, but I'm still looking....actually I have on who is getting close, but he can't keep up with me all day. Mabe it could be because he makes $12/hr when working and I make $100+ / hr working or $80/hr when stilling back wathing.

Its good to be the owner.

8. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I asked is because my guys can work circles around me. I'm doing everything in my power to keep them busy and get work for them. I still work with them 50% of the time, but I can send them anywhere, give them instructions, and its done to perfection.

9. dbianchilndscpe

dbianchilndscpe LawnSite Member

Let's hope they don't have better people/business skills than you,because they won't need you for employment if that be the case

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Only BG. Chico runs circles around him!!