Workers.......what workers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wright48, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

This year i have been threw hand fulls of employees. It seems that no one wants to work hard anymore. They all start off good they show up work then after a month or two they quit or get fired. Or any other excuse in the book. Just wondering if anyone else hhas a similar problem. Also many lcos in my area pay there guys off the books straight cash. Could this be my mistake ??

2. betterlawnsandlandscaping

betterlawnsandlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem and I was paying more than most companies in my town.

3. betterlawnsandlandscaping

I do think think a lot of it is because we don't pay in cash but I'm not going to do anything that can come back on me in the future. I also think that if we offer good pay all year through the winter, it would eliminate a lot of problems but I'm not sure if I can afford to do that.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Being able to offer full time pay and benefits throughout all the year will leave you with a better chance to be able to find the type of employees you're looking for. Not sure if the OP is able to do this or not, but I would never work for somebody who laid me off in the winter. Just my two cents.

But yes, it is very difficult to find good labor. Where I work, we pay quite a bit more than our competitors but it's still hard to find great employees. We have a good set now, but we're looking to grow and add more but it's difficult to find crew leaders who are up to our standards, even with our high pay. We have not hired anybody in 6 months, so on the bright side, we haven't had to deal with any idiots this year, but we've held many interviews but haven't found the right person yet

5. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

pay threw the winter is near impossible every company around here even the big companies that have 50 guys or more working for them layoff for jan and feb because its to cold to work. Besides snow plowing winter pay is not a option. I also pay better then most other companies. I even pay overtime no other companies pay overtime around here. I pay for holidays too. Its the hardest part of this business is finding the labor to do the work.

6. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

My guess is 80-90 percent of lco labor here is hispanic you start a guy at 8-9 and if is really good make him a crew leader at 10.
    I understand its harder to find labor in other parts of country good labor here used to start at 12-15 per hour but has continually dropped.
    I am able in this part of country to work at least
    32 hours per week in Jan and Feb that helps keep people.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. betterlawnsandlandscaping

I'm in middle Tennessee too and 8-10 per hour will not get you anything more than illegals which I will not hire. I understand that we are fighting the illegals problem but my customers deserve better than that.

8. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Have you run a ad to hire because you will get 200 people show up for 8.00 and if they dont have ss# or work permit you dont consider them i also make them pay for there own drug test before trial period starts
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

To the OP, have you considered seasonal hispanic labor? We use a contract company that we only pay a certain amount per hour and they take care of the paperwork, payroll, taxes, etc. The guys want to work so you shouldn't have any problems with people not showing up, complaining about too many hours, etc. Very easy system. Just something to consider.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If I hired Id Hispanics legal or not Id loose my business, people who I work for wont tolerate that crap.