workin at the church

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 8, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do any of you do work for a church? and, are there any good points, or bad points to it?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I find it is hard getting work at churches.
    Although we have worked for a few churches in the past, we have always ended up losing the accounts because a few parishioners would take over and volunteer their time. And any other church that we had contacted, the answer we received was that a parishioner took care of the grounds.

We never had any problem getting paid from them though, billed once a month, and we would receive our check by the 10th each month.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, started today at a local church. hope it turns out ok. probly no problem gettin paid. some guy came out, wearing a black shirt with this small white square by his addams apple, he says, "well thank you so much robert for comming out, is there anything i can get you?" i said, " yea, tell the smuck who's incharge here i only accept cash, and i'll need some before i leave here." then he said, "oh dear, well, i'm in charge robert, and i'm afraid we can't pay in cash, but, i'll be happy to write you a check." then i said, " CHECK? well, it better not bounce, you hear me? and add another 10% for my trouble." well, hope it works out

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You know I don't believe that last part now do you Robert?
    Remember when we were talking and you wanted an example?

Well here's your example.
    Where you may have just strayed from the truth a bit. ;)

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!! Relax a little Bobby. Nice, calling a priest a smuck! LOL!!

Most churches will pay in check, simply because they have to show where the money is going. They are non profit, and tax exempt so they have to keep record of every penny spent. If you do a good job, and are competitive with your prices they should keep you. Alot of times as stated people will volunteer from the congregation. Most of the time they have no clue what they are doing, and will hire a professional back. Good luck with it. :cool:

6. no problem with my church! Nobody EVER complains, rarely compliment, and I charge NOTHING. (cause they don't PAY anything) LOL

:D

7. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I do three. Same as regular customers but they get cut on fridays so they are nice for sunday.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes i will agree with that, and the comment that they are easy to lose, as they will get volunteers to do the work for free after a while. Never had a problem getting the money, just dont get to used to it, because it could end at any time.

9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I do a church its been one of my accounts now for 7yrs, Ive never had any problem with getting paid, the checks in the mail every month, usually mailed out by the 2nd day...Marks Mowing Service

10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

He should have fired you on the spot. And held the invoice 30 + days.