workin with seniors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 24, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

as most of u know, i posted about working with the seniors in my community, and the township, offering service at what we agreed on would be a legitimate 15% discount. the township agrees to be the mediator. againt my better judgement, and the advice of most of you, i am going through with it. we have a meeting on wednesday. we will be setting up "guidlines". on my list so far is the usual cr*p that we go through with seniors= cutting hieghts, extras NOT being free, and scheduling and socializing, also scheduling payments around thier social security and pension checks. also making it very firm on what will be tolerated and what wont. the township has agreed to provide me with access to thier dumpsite to help keep costs down, and with disposal rates going up all the time, this is a BIG convenience to me. can u guys think of anything else that needs to be adressed ? like i said we are meeting wed, and looking to get started monday.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Payment scheduling is an important issue with them bobby since they are on a fixed income. Just go into your meeting with an open mind and a positive attitude as well.

Good luck too! This may work out much better than you perceive IMO. May even get you into the pearly gates one day ahead of some others...LOL
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I think you have it all covered. And WOW having the dumping sites available to you, is that FREE?

Just remember how many your willing to do is up to you. You can do 1, 3 or 5. It's what your willing to deal with at the discount. Don't forget the possibility of extra work. Sell, sell, sell......:)

BTW did you have opportunity to get some other LCO's that you know involved?
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes glan, FREE dump site. but im not letting them know how much money this will save me. actually, thinking o dont want others involved.
  5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

Be sure to let them know they are discounted customers and you can't come the very day they call and ask you. I have some customers I did for the bread basket for a huge discount last year and as a volenteer this year and I had to make it known my full paying customers are my first responsibilty.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

be good toum bobby .but buisiness is buisiness ,so make sure its good for u.
    in lawn care,, volume is in my opinion, not the way to go. unless u just going to put on exstra crews,, with the whole 9 yds in bookeeping , to make sure u are in the black. good luck.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Best wishes bobby,And good for you!
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

awm, make sure im black?
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

black as in making $$$ vs. in the "red" losing $$$.
  10. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

Great, you'll be able to use the dumpsite not only with your discounted seniors, but with all your full-paying customers.