1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working Alone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madupz20, May 8, 2003.

1. madupz20

madupz20 LawnSite Member

Im looking to mow some lawns to take some of the financial burden of college away for the summer. Around how many lawns a week would I be able to handle, assuming that they are all around 3000 Sq.Ft.?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon how close each account is to each other. The less loading and unloading and driving the better.
    You should still be able to do a bunch of them though, but you want your route to be pretty consolidated. It's nice to have clusters of accounts instead of just one lone account on a street.
    So once you get one account on a street, target the whole street with fliers or doorhangers so you can pick up a few more.

Do you have any accounts lined up yet? Because it's already May, most people have already selected a lawn service for this season.
  3. madupz20

madupz20 LawnSite Member

Actually I was planning on doing some marketing through local newspapers. I was thinking $15-25 on residential property. I saw the pitch that another member posted and he said it seemed to bring in decent business in a relativly short period of time. I am located in RI where the most you can drive is 30min without leaving the state. However, I do know what you are saying. Has anyone tried getting work from posting notices at churchs. I don't think the elderly should have to pay $50+ for a profession landscaper. I watched that happen to my grandparents when I was a bit younger.
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why shouldnt they pay as much as a younger person?
  5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i do 15 a day when i work alone.most are over 3000.all depends on the size of the equipment and how close the lawns are
  6. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

$15 - $25 ?, Thats the reason most of us cant get a yard anymore, do yourself a favor (as well as the rest of us) and dont drop the gate for less than $40.00
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Because with many, it can dip into their Cadillac payment.:p
    I can understand cutting some slack for some, especially while knowing that they are running a little lean, but not for these retired folks with the Caddies, and the quarter million dollar motor home and such.
  8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys really cuttin Lawns for $15-20??

Can someone (that is not being medicated) give a rational explaination for this?
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can do 10 lawns a day at $15. per lawn you will bring in $150.00 per day x 5 days = $750.00 per week. Sounds great. But being a professional landscaper and having to pay all the taxes and insurance and up grading of my equipment, you all the stuff that you won't have to do by charging $15. per lawn, I charge more than $15., an average price of $35. per lawn , elderly or not.

Now if I do the same lawns, 10 per day @ $35.00 per lawn = $350.00 per day x 5 days = $1750.00. I guess being a professional may pay off.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Are you guys really cuttin Lawns for $15-20??

Ya really, after paying ins, fuel, equipment payments you would be losing $