1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working around local events

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Sep 7, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I work in Ann Arbor, MI, the home of the University of Michigan. In the fall, on football game days, over 105,000 people pour into the city to watch the team play. This makes my life pretty bad when having to work on those days. Usually I can plan my schedule around the stadium area, and work away from the traffic. But it's such a hassel and I've been known to take game days off. One year I goofed and got caught in the middle of football traffic and it took an hour to move along a 10 minute drive in the city.

Anyone else have to deal with stuff like this around the country???

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Where I am, we have between 130K - 150K people coming/going every single weekend during the summer months, plus a healthy amount in spring and fall. When working on the weekends, you've got to leave early when heading north or might as well not go at all. PITA.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Think of all the potential customers that could see your sign on the side of your truck! Great exposure!
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

A bunch of drunk college kids might see his sign? work around it at all cost.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

we have to work around a marathon, walkathon and a few other events. Though they are usualy on Sunday............:p

But on a Saturday like your describing. I feel for ya.
  6. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Try working in Orlando! Tourist capital of the world!
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The thing about football days, all 100,000 + people come in, park everywhere I need to be, and then leave in the course of about 6 hours. It SUCKS! I usually try to be on the far other side of town.

8. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I know what you are saying mtdmaster, been there for a game and people do park everywhere. Go Blue!