1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working Boots

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by scout007, Feb 21, 2014.

1. scout007

scout007 LawnSite Member

What are your favorite brand and style work boots. I tend to pull the soles out of mine and buy my soles from the "Walking Company". :usflag:
  2. ColliCut Land Mgmt

ColliCut Land Mgmt LawnSite Member

Redwing's, hands down. I have several different models for various types if work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Ive had a pair of Vasque hiking boots for the last two years.

They are tore up now…dunno why i still wear them…. probably because I refuse to invest another $150-180 in a new pair?

I can't decide if Im happy with getting two years out of them…. it's technically 1 year 8 months…because the last four months they should have been in the garbage.

When I sent them to the factory to see if they could refurbish (or possibly warranty) some of the broken sticking/separated sole… they told me "these boots have OBVIOUSLY gotten wet and dirty"

Oh my, you mean for my whole life I had a choice of walking in OIL of OLAY instead Ive been walking in water, rocks and sand???

I'm such a dim wit!
  4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I Second that vote. If you take care of the leather uppers the soles are easy enough to be resoled. Wise investment.
    easy-lift guy
  5. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

I have had the same pair of red wings for 10 years now. They've been resoled, had new eyelets put in, stitched up some tears, and oiled every month. The leather is close to being worn out but I'll bet I get another year out of them.

I also recently bought a pair of their $300 iron rangers as my dress boot.
  6. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

"Oil of Olay" Bwahahahahahahaha

I have always had good luck with Timberland Pro but I have been looking to expand into the higher grade hiking category as of late.

Vasque, Asolo, Danner, Keen, are a few that I have been looking at...

But man, whether they are something more traditional or hiker or logger....

Boots are expensive!!!!
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been eyeballing a pair of adidas lately (yea seems odd) to replace my Vasques…check em out online… look up adidas outdoor, specifically terex Mid GTX fast R
  8. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Steel Toe i'm assuming guys??

Seems eveything i buy last 1 season....

I did just order my first pair of red wings, steel toe, hiking... I am pumped..

I would like to hear about how you maintenance the boots. Oil them, resoled, etc. etc.

20 years wearing boots i have never done any of this, i just buy new
  9. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

My redwings lasted a year and a half. I must be murder on boots lol there wasn't much to save on them. I want to try asolo boots.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

asolo boots look sweet, i don't see them in a steel toe