1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

working capital

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Quality, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

how much capital is needed to start up a lawn business ? is 2 or 3 months enough. to live on,when getting jobs
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I made it on one month, which was a little under 5 k it got very tight I would recommend 2 months for business. Understand what that means the business not you! it is alive it is its own entity. And it should if all goes well be breaking even in one to two months.

You on the other hand will need 3 months to a year of personal capital, as it will be about that long before you really begin to see some real profits. The business covers my insurance and gas so minus out my rent and iv lived off of around 3 k for the entire year cable modem phone bills and food its a frugal existence but was needed to start the business.
  3. yardsurfer

yardsurfer LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

self sacrifice
  4. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

I,m going to start small,I want to keep my overhead small,like wise with my direct, and indirect cost.mainly grass cutting shrub trimming,small tree trimming, mulching and design small to med beds ,ext...and keep my profit up.and most of all a lot of praying! I have a wife and a little girl who will be turing 2 yr. i,m staying positive.

RICARDO LawnSite Member

I would like to know were can I buy used equipment in Charlotte o near
    thank evy one to help me with this information
  6. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

Try not to buy used if you can help it. Used stuff often is used by people who don't take as much care as you would from the start if you had new. Also it may seem like a less expensive way to go up front, but in the long run I have found new is worth a little more up front.

You have to start some where though and sometimes getting started is the hardest part.

good luck