1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working for a and LCO, and also being an LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CompletePropertyCare, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about working 2 or 3 days a week for another lawn care company and then on my off days taking care of my customers. Is there anything wrong with this. Conflict of interest. I was straight up with the owner, he even talked about subbing stuff out to me. Whats your opinion(s)
  2. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

If your current employer is allright with it, No problem.
  3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing the same thing right now, Im in school and do not want to grow any more than I am because it will conflict with the school year. So i got a job with another LCO part time which will go through the summer while im not in school. He was fine with it, he does large apartment complexes and I am no competition to him. As long as you are up front and he doesnt mind should be a big deal.
  4. CompletePropertyCare

I figured as long as I let him know my situation it would be, plus I will hopefully learn some things
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

As long as everything has been put on the table and there are no issues with the other LCO then there is no problem. My advice is to take some of the jobs he is willing to sub out to you...you will come out ahead vs. working directly for him.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Regardless of any agreement or understanding up front, it will become a problem at one point or another. What happens when you get behind because of weather, or any other unforeseen scenario? Who gets put on the back burner? Your clients or your job?
    Aside from possible animosity, it will become a problem in the future, just be ready.
  7. CompletePropertyCare

I'm currently a service advisor for a local school bus dealer. I have a lot of experience in animosity, lol. Thanks for the advice.
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never let someone do that. If they came and asked for a job, nope sorry buddy. Every month my guys and I sit down and go over pricing on property's and how much our up coming bids are going to be, how much we are spending, how can we save money this month. So nope cause everyone at that table and go over the books.
  9. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

I would never deal with the hassles and the constant worry of my guy lowballing my work! But if he is okay with it it's worth a shot to try!
  10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a company while running my own for 4 years before he left (moved) and I took over most of his accounts. I was straight up with him and he with me. As long as you dont have to worry about him worrying about you, its all good.