$#^%@#% Working For Dirt

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by paponte, May 15, 2007.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm just getting greedy in my old age. Can I get a quick price quote from you guys. Of course site unseen, but just so I know I'm not losing my mind here.

976sqft patio/walkway. From front of house wrapping into the back. 6x6 field, 6x9 sailor tumbled free flowing path and kidney patio

11x3 front landing with 2 steps

6x3 rear entrance with 1 step

4 french drains

Does $12k even freaking sound feasible? Or am I just freaking getting bitter at this? :confused:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

No it doesnt seem right. I take it that it is another "company"? I would go about 20K +/-. If it is another company dont sweat it they will eventually go bankrupt and then you will get your 20-25K in a year or 2 when the whole thing sinks and shifts and needs to be repaired. Just for comparison I just booked a job and the raised walk/patio was 1065ft and I'm getting 12K just for the labor. The owner is related to a supplier and is getting everything and I mean everthing from edging to base. Add in the 300ft2 wall and stairs for another 8K and July should be a pretty good month.

3. paponte

Gotta check my quote, but I think I was in at $18k and change. The job sounds interesting, and I would have some creative freedom as well as first shot at all the softscaping. He's got some large chunks of granite that he would like to incorporate into the whole theme. I just refuse to work for peanuts, nor will my work deteriorate because of budget.

I just don't know lately, all my bills are going up and it seems like other companies numbers are going down. :rolleyes:

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

depending on product i'm around 17,500 to 19,500

is the customer saying he can get it for 12?

lsing 4 grand to make money on a planting doesn't make sense. Unless the planting is 50k+

5. paponte

Thanks Patriot. Yes, he has a quote for $12k from another company. There is no way I will touch it for that price. Guess I am just a little bothered at numbers lately. Have been on about 10 estimates, and guys are blowing me out of the water, not by a grand or two but by some serious margins. Just like to check my numbers once and a while, especially when you see a difference in closing percentages.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the 12K guy might be making a big mistake by lowering his price with the promise of more work. Your price sounds right at 18 to 20K. I hope your client knows he gets what he pays for. 12K no-way!

7. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Paponte,
    I would agree, other companies prices seem to be getting lower as my bill get higher. I don't get how these other guys can do it, and better yet, why they would want to. Over the winter I bid a retaining wall for a builder that brings us a fair share of work so I gave him a bit of a deal. I came in at $14k. He tells me I was 3k higher than the other guy. There is just no way I could touch it for 20% less. I think my materials alone were 6-7k.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey paponte,
    don't get to discouraged we let morons take those kind of jobs around here. He will lose his shirt and be out of business in about 2-3 months. Less competition for you. Then the homeowner will call you to come and fix it. You will get your money eventually. If homowners are that stupid and cheap to take a bid like that they deserve each other and the product they will receive. Around here I would say around 20-23k for what your doing. Walkays are a pain with a lot of cuts. Keep your head up. Quality companies always outlast the cheap ones in the end. If your work is #1 quality you will eventually have the reputation to command the high dollars without so much as a question from clients.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't think we'd even consider the patio for 12k, let alone everything else you've got listed...

The problem with those lowballers is that they are a dime-a-dozen and there will always be one or three around. Lowballer "A" may be around for 2-3 months, but when he goes out, Lowballer "B" will step right up and take his place....

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

4 grand on that scale of a project is 25% which is nuts that guy should charge more even at 2 grand more he would win the bid and make money. He'll lose money or cut corners to get the job done.

We put in a bid this year and beat a guy by 4 grand but it was a 1,000square wall. He bid it at 35 a square and we bid it out and came to 29,500 total.

In that case it was someone not putting the effort to give a reasonable bid. In your case the guy is just killing himself.