Working for Scott's Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NewToLawnCare, Mar 4, 2008.

1. NewToLawnCare

NewToLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey I posted this in the Commercial section and somebody suggested I try posting in this section.

Hey guys,

I am extremely new to the lawn care industry. I am 21 and have been working behind a computer for 3 years and I can't take it anymore. I am to much of a people person who loves to be outside to work in an office all day. Well I applied for a lawn care technician job with Scott's and was wondering if anybody has any input about the company. (Good pay, experience, etc)

My goal is to get all my lawn care and fertilization experience with that company and one day start my own lawn care business. Thanks for any input. Again, I am a compete rookie so any advice would help. I live in Columbus, OHIO also. Thanks.

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Really nothing is wrong with that, alot of people in this business take that route, go to a big company and see if it's for you, get licensed and get experience and learn as much as you can because you really will see anything and everything and your'e not always gonna agree with what they do but use them for what it's worth and leave.

3. The Lawn Crew

The Lawn Crew LawnSite Member

Scott's is a first rate company to work for. They pay well, don't abuse their employees, give you the best equipment in the industry, they have good trucks with a/c and don't have a "quota" for "production".

They are in no way related to the "other" company in just about anything they do. They are far superior.

If you want to work for a company, they would be the best choice.

Good luck!

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

It may just be the Scotts in my area (are they franchise owned?) but our scotts guy is always using the $14.99 scotts spreader from lowes to do his apps. The thing looks like it holds 20 ls of fertilizer, and the guy is always bend over walking because the handles are so short.

Kindof makes me chuckle when I see it, at least the spreader does say Scotts on the side!

On the flipside, they do have a nice truck setup for their liquid apps.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When I started out working for Scott's they did have a quota ($800 per day) and if you were 1 dollar short for the week, you were working 8-2 on Saturdays. Best equipment? Spreaders were breaking all the time, the ride on's sucked, aerators didn't work and the vans always had issues. This wasn't a franchised branch either. If you and your branch hit production you can make decent money there, but that's about it. It's a good way to break in because it shows you the basics, but stick it out for a year or two, then head for the hills.

PS. There might be some good branches out there, but not in my experience.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Its the branch manager that makes or breaks a company good to for, IMO.
    Go with a outfit that has several applicators. They are ones you will learn the most from.
    Talk to employees of the company first, before applying to get a feel for the branch they are working for.

7. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member