working for someone else v. working for yourself

Discussion in 'Employment' started by lsu03, Feb 15, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

i'm almost 16 and want to start my own lawn service but my dad said i should at least work for one first then maybe think about it. your thoughts?

2. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Yes man I know it is hard to believe but your father is probally right. This will let you save money to get a decent start and also your will learn so much with them. You are probally still in school and DONT END THAT but see if any smaller companies in your area will let u work some in the afternoons or weekends. Tell them that you are interested in learning more about the green industry with them. Make sure you find a good reputable company. Believe it or not i learned a lot with my Horticulture degree but I also learned alot with my former companies. Good luck and when you do start do it slow and efficient!!!!

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I wouldn't tell them that, if someone came up to me saying they wanted to learn more to start their own business I would not want to help out my competition. But you should def. find someone to work with, see if this is something you even want to do before you dump all your money into equipment, insurance and all the other good stuff that comes along with this business. No matter what you choose to do, good luck!!

- Matt

4. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i know what your aying matt. I was not wanting him to tell him that he was going to start his own business. Sorry miss worded it. Good luck

5. lsu03

thanks for the input. i guess my parents aren't as crazy as they sound. :laugh:j/k. but how would i work after school if the lcos are running all around town? like how would i meet up?

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If they want help badly enough they'll find a way to pick you up somewhere, and we look for people like you, kids looking to learn, guys in your shoes go a couple ways, they turn into full time summer help for a couple years, and go off on their own, some succeed others come back looking for work, others just find they really don't have a taste for the work, there are lots of reasons to not like this field.........either way good luck!!!!!! And listen to your parents, even if you started up on your own now, you are not 18 yet and as a minor you cannot legally enter into a contract(at least in NJ) without a contract with a client you may as well work for free as lots of people are A**holes and would be happy to take advantage of a hard working, motivated kid.......

7. lsu03

thanks forestguy. my dad and i know a few guys personally who mow. one of them crawfishes(ask if not sure) during the winter for us. he has a helper but i could maybe follow and work for him a few weeks this summer.

8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I knew what you were saying, I didn't mean to word what I said like that either....

9. lsu03

thanks everyone.

10. lsu03

went to stine today and the smell of fertilizer and plants, sight of mowers, and everything made me really want summer to get here to start working. might be able to start working in april if we get the right guy.