Working hard/ then theft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We were working in a backyard yesterday doing a flower bed and some hedge trimming we had worked hard all day at 3:06 pm I used my cell phone left it in the truck on the seat the truck was parked not even 20 ft away but in an alley behind the privacy fence. At 4:20 we go to leave my helper says weres your cell phone? We looked all over and even called it did not here it ring. So went to the cell company office and reported it stolen. Whill there I wanted a print out of calls made from it. I am a Private Investigator and knew that who ever got it may have mades some calls and if they did I could get the numbers they called and then trace the number to a name and address then to the one who called it. Did just that and these two 14 and 15 year old gang type thugs are the ones who made the calls. They lived at the other end of the alley and were riding the bikes around and got my phone. I am pressing charges. Did not get the phone back. Had to vent this and watch all your things while out there working. :angry:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Glad to hear you tracked down the little thugs. I do not lock my truck when out mowing, but I usually keep the cell phone out of site under the seat.:)

3. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Samething happened to about a month ago with my back pack blower. I was trimming in a back yard and came out to get my blower and it was gone. I have a trimer trap rack for it but it was not locked. I now keep everything locked up tight when I can't see my trailer.
    Glad to hear you got the punks who did it. Sorry to hear you didn't get the phone back.

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

go to home depot and buy some chains & a set of matching pad locks.we lock every thing up.sometimes i'll keep a guy station at the trailer.

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Holloway:

Glad you found out who did it. Nail the little buggers !!

We do 4 U:

It's a pain, I know, and it takes extra time, but I agree with ADLAWNCUTTERS. I keep all my stuff as well as the truck locked when I am on a property. I don't care if its the richest or poorest part of town. It's locked !!

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

great job dick tracy!

GEO

7. 2 Black Thumbs

2 Black Thumbs LawnSite Member

I agree with you guys in locking up your equipment but I recommend you use cables and locks that can't easily be cut with bolt cutters. 2 examples: Last year I was renting a garage stall for my boat and I had two Master locks on it and both were cut off. The theifs also cut the locks off of about 13 other stalls(didn't steal anything from anyone) must have been looking for something, and they used a standard bolt cutter that you can buy at any hardware store for about $35. 2nd case was that I had a trailer I needed to move but it had a master lock on it and I cut it off with my bolt cutter(business equipment) with amazing ease(surprized me how easy it cut) Well, chains cut like butter. Just my opinon. Cable is much harder, too many strands. Hope this will help in the future. TBT

8. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well I always try and keep my equpt locked up. This was my phone and I did find the thugs that got it and have informed the detectives at the PD but I know how they work and they are not going to do much about it. If I was someone important around the city they would have already locked up these punks but I am a nobody to them. I am glad they only made local calls on it and not to thier brother Bin Lauden.

9. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I was helping out a guy this week with his trailer. The guy was working in the yard on the other side of the street from me. He was looking at how I locked up my stuff on the trailer. He has had blowers and all sorts go a miss. I even have drilled holes to be able to run a padlock of the lock pins on the trailer gate. Just in case somebody starts my 36" and drives it off the trailer. It mainly keeps the petty crooks away and slows the professional crook down to where we may at least get a hold of them, Well done on nailing the one's that stole off you by the way.

Steve

10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

It's sad ,we work so hard to make it , then you got these but heads that just think they can take our goods.

NOT going to happen here.

I wish I was in a position to punish these people.