Working Hazards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jetjockey352, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jetjockey352

jetjockey352 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a recent experience of mine, and hope that no one else has one like it.

Briefly, my experience is- I've been cutting grass in some sort of commercial setting for >10yrs. My dad had a lawn biz for a few yrs, and I worked with him, I worked for friends off and on, and have my own part time biz now.

In all my experience, I have been fortunate and not had any injuries. Until a few days ago.

I was curb edging on a busy, 4-lane city street.

A CAR HIT ME IN THE LOWER BACK. I TOOK OUT THEIR RIGHT-SIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR!!!

The car swerved in their lane, slowed down, and then hauled ass away. I collected the mirror as a sovineer. Since them I am: a) thanking God I am not seriously injured and, b) curb edging left handed on busy streets.

BE CAREFUL GUYS.
    David

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Did u have any safety clothing on! Vest or reflective safety green or orange shirt? Glad yur ok.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jetjockey352

jetjockey352 LawnSite Member

Bright green shirt, no safety clothing. I will start wearing one on busy streets, tho
    This same friend I was working for, on a different day, one of his guys had trash thrown at him while edging. We both had ppl honk at us, drive really close, just being a-holes. If I see a guy working on the street in any capacity I change lanes or slow down.
    Mean people suck!

4. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

When I was driving to a job this morning a city worker was edging the median on a main road. He was walking in the street, with his head down, and no vest on. With the way some of the idiots around here drive I thought "Man, he will lucky to live through the day."