Working in Heavy Rains

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by landscapetastic, May 9, 2012.

1. landscapetastic

landscapetastic LawnSite Member
    from ny

Hi,

Do any of you work in the heavy rains?. Well I was suppose to clear out
    a customers backyard of ivy , fallen down trees, etc on this friday. But today the customer calls today and say well I want the work done today (Wednesday). And it is heavy raining today. And falling branches coming down left and right. I said that in the rain I can't do a quailty job,and I will make more of a mess in your yard then if waited just 2 days. And also she was NOT scheduled for today anyway. Her response was "Well you are going to have to work between the rain drops". I left her message reasuring her that the will be completed by Saturday. How would anyone else handle this? Do I work in the heavy rains?

2. You did the right thing and anyone who expects someone to work in heavy rains, well, there's the door. Light rain I have no problem, but not a downpour. It will take you longer as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

*if* you did work in heavy rains I would definitely get a signed disclaimer that you are not liable for any mess that is made due to the rain, and that said mess would be a separate billable charge for any repairs. That has always changed peoples minds in my area.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Rain or not I don't let customers dictate my schedule, especially after we already agreed on a date.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer back out of a mulch job I had scheduled today cause I refused to work in the rain, it happens. I don't let the customer dictate to me when I work, I'm in charge of scheduling period.

6. cpllawncare

I like the disclaimer statement for weather I am going to put that in my service agreements, I can't believe people actually expect you to work in the pouring rain! Unbelievable!!!!

7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

We work in the pouring rain here all of the time. Get a good rain suit and boots.

8. cpllawncare

Sorry, I'm not rutting up my clients yards! Mulching in the rain is one thing but cutting is a no no in my book.

9. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

we mow & mulch in the rain. In your case i would have told the customer no way

10. if I do anything in a heavy rain it will be for some really serious dollars.