Working in January

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Yesterday was January 13th & we finished our 3rd new system & started our 4th new installation for 2006. The last 2 weeks have been unseasonably mild here in Western PA. It will be a cold weekend & then will start to warm up on Monday again. We'll keep installing. My supplier says that we are really the only ones working here. Are you kidding me? It was 68 deg. yesterday. Have any other of you guys in the northeast taken advantage of this warm weather to work??

Go Steelers
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

YES!!!! I am an assistant superintendent on a golf course and plan on doing wiring work on monday so some unfinished work from the fall.. cold this weekend but back into the 40s next week. You have any pics you can post of your work? thanks in advance.
  3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We are too. Been busy installing a sprinkler system a football field, the perimeter, and an adjacent soccer field. Our supplier has been having trouble keeping up with the pvc demands as they don't normally stock them in January.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We've been installing all winter, its slower here, but theres no snow on the ground so we keep going :)
  5. This unseasonably warm weather will be a lesson to me....I will continue to market later than others...and I will install some systems this time of year.

You can always test the system...then blow it out for the winter.....ughhh.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Because of our climate we never stop. Some of our biggest projects are undertaken during the winter.

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

We slow down a bit, but same as Hayes (same town) with our climate, we never stop except during rain.
    I operate a full service LCO - Design - construction - maintenance
    Maint has slowed after 'fall' but continues each week
    Construction currently has 3 projects started (Removal and re-do of existing)
    Several designs on drawing board and new calls for appointments.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

That must be nice to install during Jan. FInally the ground started to harden up here about 2 days ago
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We do some of our most major installs between january and march. We only get snow for about a week here. The rest is just a constant drizzle from November to April.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Do the times when we get constant fog ever get to you? Sometimes it gets bad enough that I have to head for the hills, desert or coast to get a little sunshine and warmth.