Working in Texas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Limeade, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Hey guys I was wondering what the cutting season is for Texas? More specifically Houston? It seems like I could cut grass atleast 10 months out of the year.

Also I know you guys can't give me a going rate, as there is none, and most would suggest to call around. But I am looking for ball park, I hear people saying they charge 40 a lawn, but is that up north where cost of living is higher? Because her in Houston I think it would be "good" to get 30, am I aiming to low? I also know there is a starters page, but I am looking for veteran advice, and right now there happens to be more people looking at this page.
  2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a solo operator and I charge per hr my min charge is 35.00 I am trying to maintain a $25.00 per hr charge I know it sounds low and in some places it is but there are too many people with walmrt mowers on trailer and in the back of their pickup trucks the local tax assesor is starting to crack down on them. it is now a law that any equipment that you use to produce income with is now classified as taxable personal property so you get hit with personal property tax on your equipment
  3. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

4. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Texas, but will refrain from saying it...I used to live their and my brother keeps me updated about the goings on there...let's just say that certain people are doing lawns dirt cheap and messing it up for other LCOs...Need I say more...

LCRIII LawnSite Member

38 Visits per year. 12-month contract.
    Jan, Feb = 2 visits
    March - Aug. = 4 visits
    Sept - Nov = 3 Visits
    December = 2 visits

Good luck.
  6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

First Where are you at in Houston?

Most guys here get 40 -42 cuts

Priced is based on where you are and what neighborhood your in. Smallest yard, I usually get 25-30, larger accounts I get $50 and up. Full service is a must for your larger estate type yards , they dont want to do anything in their yard. I also find that most people dont even want to weed if that means taking 10 minutes every couple weeks to weed thier beds, so you can get extra loot every week for that.

I would HIGHLY advise that you figure out what type of work you want to do since you will have to buy specific mower to work in residentals. Most gates are 36" and you will have a hard time fitting a even a 36" mower into some yards.

I would recomend a 32"stander or 34"gravelyztr for residental, commerical accounts you can run just about anything you want to.

I am new to this area, but I spent over 8 months researching landscaping in this area, if you want give me your email address and I will give you some info. There is a few equipment dealers around me that have the best price on mowers in the whole state.

I used to live on Cape Cod and the cost of living is nothing compared to what is was there. I find that the money is pretty much the same and the season is much longer so that I actually make more money.
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess things grow a little more down south but up here in DFW I get about 35 visits total per year.
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I resided near grant road in cypress...nice area with many beautiful houses...I miss Texas at times, as where I live now the winter screws the mowing season...
  9. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Wow thats awsome, can you kinda give me an idea of what type of people pay for those pirces. Like does everyone pay those prices, or do you have to aim yourself at upper middle class, or what? Thanks for posting you site, that really helped.

Also southernYankee, is my email, thanks.