1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

working in the rain

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

today when I woke up it was raining a little and suppose to rain most of the day. I then called all my guys and canceled the day. My question is who still goes out and attempts to do service calls in the rain. When I usually cancel the day and am out running around town I usually see another irrigation company drive by and always wonder what the hell is this guy doing in the rain. Who cancels the day when its raining. I just fell like a wet and cold employee is never a productive one
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They are irrigation guys, should be used to getting wet.
  3. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

The way I look at it is I am going to get wet whether it comes from the sky or the ground. As long as it isn't pouring down rain or there isn't lighning I keep working.
  4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

There is gettin wet by sprinklers on a hot day.

Then there is gettin wet from wind driven hard rain all day. Like today in the northeast NY/NJ/CT area and surrounding areas getting hit by remnants of Barry.

It's just not fun being soaked head to toe by cold rain. And wearing a rain jacket &/or pants..... you sweat too much. Miserable. Not wimpy reaction either. There's a point when you just gotta come in outta the rain.

You'll never see a leaky head or find that pressure loss mushy lawn area in the rain.

Do something else.

Sort out your truck, parts bins etc.

Go do some estimates.

Take a nap.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

go with the nap :sleeping:
  6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Usually if its raining here we will do maintinece on our equipment and trucks. And stock up on parts or whatever we might need for the next few weeks.
  7. Rain is annoying to work in. I'm for the nap as well.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

9. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Up here, it'd be slim pickins' if we didn't get a little wet...but I never allow
    glue work when raining! Not really cost effective if crew gets a "rain attitude".